PDA

View Full Version : Dry Beans

signseeker
01-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I want to use more dry beans. I have some stored in 1/2-gallon Mason jars (one jar holds about 3 pounds of beans) ... is this a good idea? Anyone have a good baked beans recipe, using dry beans? I guess you'd just have to soak and cook them first and then they can be used like canned beans...

I tried a baked bean recipe last week and it was way too strong and sweet tasting. No one, including me, liked it. :001_scry:

Anyone have favorite dry beans? I'm going to try 2 or 3 varieties this year to grow in the garden. You just leave them to dry on the vines and then shell them, right? Easy peasy. :001_ssmile:

TheSwally
01-05-2010, 10:54 AM
I was going to ask the same question after surveying our supply of canned pinto beans in my basement this weekend. Would love to get some recipes.

LoudmouthMormon
01-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Here (http://www.ldsglo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300) is an old thread with many bean recipes, and even a bean cookbook. Cowboy's video is a classic - I play it loudly whenever I'm nearing the end of cooking some food storage beans. My family just shakes their head and goes back to what they were doing.

LM

signseeker
01-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Didn't see the video...

Everyone pretty much keep pinto or white beans then?

prairiemom
01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I probably use more black beans than pinto. Here are my favorite legumes:
black beans
navy
pinto
garbanzo
lentils

We buy these by the 100# bag.

Also, have a supply of mung beans (for sprouting) and adzuki (for desserts)

signseeker
01-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Adzuki beans in dessert? :yikes:

How much of the mung beans do you have? Are they the best for sprouting? Can you sprout all beans? I assume in a TEOTWAWKI situation you'd plant these rather than sprout them? How would you grow the dry beans if you had to -- or can you??

prairiemom
01-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Adzuki beans in dessert? :yikes:

How much of the mung beans do you have? Are they the best for sprouting? Can you sprout all beans? I assume in a TEOTWAWKI situation you'd plant these rather than sprout them? How would you grow the dry beans if you had to -- or can you??

There's a pudding dessert in one of those cookbooks I posted in the thread LMM linked to that uses adzuki. Also, it's the red bean in "red bean ice cream" that is so yummy. It's a mild, pretty bean.

You can sprout any bean, but the mung bean is a small and mild so it's perfect for salads and stir fry. Here's a secret I just learned to make the sprouts thicker: keep the moist beans weighted with a plate and a brick or other weight on the plate. That's how you get the nice thick roots that you buy in the store (and pay $3/lb and I make them for less than 5?)

I don't know how many growing days mung beans need till maturity, I should look it up. Yeah, if I needed to, I'd grow dry beans. I've tried to grow them a couple times with limited success. But I have to blame my gardening ineptness because ND is one of the largest bean-producing regions in the world. We produce more soy beans than Japan. So bean grow just fine here, I just haven't found the right place/time/variety to grow them.

I buy about 1-2 lbs of mung a year. I little goes a LONG way. About 3-4 lbs of the adzuki.

Noahs ARK
01-05-2010, 03:24 PM
The beans I use the most:

Black beans
Navy beans
Pinto beans
Baby Lima beans
Butter beans
Kidney beans
7-Bean mix

I keep my beans in 5-gallon containers down in the basement, but always have a quart jar of each in my kitchen cabinet. The beans I bought from Emergency Essentials came in 5-lb bags inside a 5-gallon container - those are under my mattress (instead of box springs).

I don't know that I'd bother growing them unless I absolutely had to cuz I can get bulk beans and rice really cheap at my local store when they're on sale.

Noahs ARK
01-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Here's a secret I just learned to make the sprouts thicker: keep the moist beans weighted with a plate and a brick or other weight on the plate. That's how you get the nice thick roots that you buy in the store (and pay $3/lb and I make them for less than 5?)

I need to start making sprouts. I tried it once and it was a disaster cuz my cats kept eating them. Must've thought I was growing catnip or something. :001_sconfused:

Buffie
01-05-2010, 06:29 PM
I have a lot of dried beans, but I see a problem with them in a crisis: dried beans must usually be cooked 2-3 hours, and that uses a lot of fuel. In the past few months I've been increasing my supply of canned beans. I know they won't last as long, but they're easier to heat over an emergency stove. Also, they come with liquid, while dry beans must be soaked and cooked in drinkable water. If water is in short supply, I think this is another plus for canned beans. Anyone else thinking like this?

Two good recipe ideas. The first is from my husband, who adds chocolate to beans. (In Vietnam they had some crazy ideas about cuisine.) In the Little House books, Ma Ingalls boiled her beans, then covered them with molasses and put them in the oven. Sounds delicious.

prairiemom
01-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I have a lot of dried beans, but I see a problem with them in a crisis: dried beans must usually be cooked 2-3 hours, and that uses a lot of fuel. In the past few months I've been increasing my supply of canned beans. I know they won't last as long, but they're easier to heat over an emergency stove. Also, they come with liquid, while dry beans must be soaked and cooked in drinkable water. If water is in short supply, I think this is another plus for canned beans. Anyone else thinking like this?

Two good recipe ideas. The first is from my husband, who adds chocolate to beans. (In Vietnam they had some crazy ideas about cuisine.) In the Little House books, Ma Ingalls boiled her beans, then covered them with molasses and put them in the oven. Sounds delicious.

Two solutions: Pressure cooker. Beans go from dry to cooked in 25-35 min. OR (do as our pioneers did) and soak beans overnight and then slow cook during the day using a wonder box http://ourldsfamily.com/wonderbox/ or over a woodburning stove.

Noahs ARK
01-05-2010, 06:48 PM

That bothers me, too. I've been trying to increase my supply of canned beans. I know they won't go to waste cuz we eat so many beans.

I read an article about this subject. It said to bring your beans and water to a boil, then completely wrap the pot of beans in newspaper & blankets - let it sit overnight and supposedly the beans will be cooked.

This will be another experiment of mine!!

Another option is a pressure cooker, which I need.

I've made dried beans and put molasses and brown sugar on them before putting them in the oven. They're good! Like baked beans, but not as sweet.

waif69
01-05-2010, 06:50 PM

Two things:
1. You can use the water that is left over from soaking the beans to add to other food stuff, so you don't have to lose the extra water required.
2. I add some dark chocolate to my chili mix, and everyone loves it, except those who don't like a spicy chili. :party:

Noahs ARK
01-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Two solutions: Pressure cooker. Beans go from dry to cooked in 25-35 min. OR (do as our pioneers did) and soak beans overnight and then slow cook during the day using a wonder box http://ourldsfamily.com/wonderbox/ or over a woodburning stove.

Oooooh! where do I get a wonder box?

ETA ~ never mind - I scrolled down and found some links.

phylm
01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
That bothers me, too. I've been trying to increase my supply of canned beans. I know they won't go to waste cuz we eat so many beans.

I read an article about this subject. It said to bring your beans and water to a boil, then completely wrap the pot of beans in newspaper & blankets - let it sit overnight and supposedly the beans will be cooked.

This will be another experiment of mine!!

Another option is a pressure cooker, which I need.

I've made dried beans and put molasses and brown sugar on them before putting them in the oven. They're good! Like baked beans, but not as sweet.
Your idea is called "fireless cooking." I expect that it is the way the pioneers cooked their food while trekking across the country. I use an old cooler, wrap the hot pot in a space blanket, then pack crushed newspaper under and around it. Sawdust is an excellent insulation, too, but could be a bit messy around food. We used to use it to keep ice blocks through the summer.

signseeker
01-05-2010, 10:16 PM
You people are all amazing. :worshippy:

Noahs ARK
01-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Two things:
1. You can use the water that is left over from soaking the beans to add to other food stuff, so you don't have to lose the extra water required.

2. I add some dark chocolate to my chili mix, and everyone loves it, except those who don't like a spicy chili.

Am I the only one that doesn't soak my beans before cooking them? I rinse them and then throw 'em in the crockpot - usually they cook all night on "low".

I use dark chocolate in my chili, too!

Noahs ARK
01-05-2010, 10:27 PM
I use an old cooler, wrap the hot pot in a space blanket, then pack crushed newspaper under and around it.

We have 2 old coolers down in the basement that I was going to throw out and then changed my mind. I figured they'd come in handy for something.

Cooler - check!
Space blanket - check!
Newspaper - check!

Looks like I'm ready for my experiment. :rofl:

signseeker
01-06-2010, 06:28 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't soak my beans before cooking them? I rinse them and then throw 'em in the crockpot - usually they cook all night on "low".

Specifics, please. How much beans and water? And what else? They turn out nice and soft?

Cuz I'm all about cooking all day or night... cooking is not about speed in my house. There's so many afternoon activities with kids that if something's already on its way, that's fantastic.

Noahs ARK
01-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Specifics, please. How much beans and water? And what else? They turn out nice and soft?

Cuz I'm all about cooking all day or night... cooking is not about speed in my house. There's so many afternoon activities with kids that if something's already on its way, that's fantastic.

Specifics, ea? Let's see....

I used 3 cups of dried navy beans and covered them with water. I'd say probably 2x as much water as beans.

Added a chopped onion, ham hock, garlic powder, pepper.

I let it cook all night on low. You can also put it on "warm" all night - some beans get soft much faster than navy beans.

***Check water level before going to bed - add water if needed***

This morning I added chopped celery, carrots and a couple of pieces of ham that I chopped into bite-sized pieces.

My hubby needs meat, so I add extra ham for him. I'd be perfectly happy with just the beans & ham bone.

Yes, they're nice & soft. Yummy good!

If you don't care for the whole beans, you can always smoosh some of them and make it a bit creamer. Use a blender or hand masher or one of those immersible hand-blenders.

signseeker
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
So this is in your crockpot/slowcooker?

Noahs ARK
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
So this is in your crockpot/slowcooker?

Yes. I have several different sizes of crockpots (depending on what I'm making) and all of them cook differently.

This particular crockpot tends to cook a little hotter than the others, so I put it on "warm" at night, which works just fine.

We just ate and let me tell ya - those beans were good!

phylm
01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
We have 2 old coolers down in the basement that I was going to throw out and then changed my mind. I figured they'd come in handy for something.

Cooler - check!
Space blanket - check!
Newspaper - check!

Looks like I'm ready for my experiment. :rofl:
LOL!!! You go, girl!

signseeker
01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
The crockpot of mine that cooks hotter doesn't have a warm setting. :glare:

I'm going to try it, though. :thumbsup:

Noahs ARK
01-07-2010, 03:33 PM
The crockpot of mine that cooks hotter doesn't have a warm setting. :glare:

I'm going to try it, though. :thumbsup:

I have one that runs a little hot w/o a "warm" setting - I put it on "hi" for a couple of hours, but turn it off before going to bed. Then the beans are sitting in hot water overnight. In the morning, I just put it back on "low" for the day.

I just made cabbage soup in my larger crockpot - cabbage, onions, carrots, cut up chicken. I started it about 4 hours ago and it's almost ready.

Now I'm mad cuz I forgot I wanted to experiment with the cooler, space blankie & newspaper. :crazy: