PDA

View Full Version : B&M Brown Bread

Noahs ARK
01-28-2010, 04:07 PM
I opened a can of B&M Brown Bread last night. I've had it in my storage for years.

It was delicious and still moist.

Vermont Country Store sells it - 2 cans for $8.90 - with or w/o raisins.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/Food-Candy/Conveniently-Canned/Brown-Bread-in-a-Can-Set-of-2-Cans/D/30100/P/1:100:1020:100660/I/f07104?evar3=SEARCH

A case of each, I think. :l0 (43):

Yummmm - bacon (Tac Bac) & brown bread for dinner. I'd be happy.

phylm
01-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Glad you brought up brown bread. I was thinking today that I have to remind my class members to have a good stainless steel double boiler on hand. I make brown bread in mine (as well as custard, rice and bread puddings and other puddings, and 7-Minute Frosting.) It takes a lot less fuel to cook it in the double boiler, than in the oven. However, you could put your brown bread in greased wide-mouth canning jars, place them in a pan with water up two inches on the jars, and bake them in the oven, then cap and seal when you take them out. Wendy DeWitt also bakes cakes, bread and cookies in jars and stores them...you don't place those in water. I haven't done that yet, as we use very little dessert, but plan to.

Noahs ARK
01-28-2010, 08:27 PM
I steam my brown bread in a big pot on the stove. I save all my larger cans and my neighbor gives me her small empty coffee cans. I also used a #10 can and that worked out good, too.

How would you get the cakes, bread and cookes out of a wide-mouth jar once they're cooked? ...and where would I find these recipes?? TIA!!

Oooooh - I found it!!

Earthling
01-28-2010, 09:59 PM
But . . . the extension services tell you canning breads in jars is not safe.

Noahs ARK
01-28-2010, 10:17 PM

Then it's a good thing I'm too lazy to do all that. I know it costs more to buy it already made, but it's sooooo much easier.

LEVE
01-28-2010, 10:55 PM
As a kid in Alaska, that was one treat that we'd always have. It was exciting to open the tin, slide it out a bit, slather it with another treat... butter... and eat it ever so slowly.

Now I want some! Thanks for the memories.

Noahs ARK
01-28-2010, 10:59 PM
As a kid in Alaska, that was one treat that we'd always have. It was exciting to open the tin, slide it out a bit, slather it with another treat... butter... and eat it ever so slowly.

Now I want some! Thanks for the memories.

It's one of my favorite memories, too. We had it at Christmas. We'd slice it and put softened cream cheese on it. Then serve on a pretty little silver tray.

I've been making brown bread for years - ever since they took B&M off the shelves, but it's not the same.

If you're gonna get some, you'd better hurry - I'm ordering a lot of it! :sneaky2:

North_Star
01-29-2010, 12:51 AM
You can order from Amazon too

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=b+%26+m+brown+bread&sprefix=b+%26+m+brown

phylm
01-29-2010, 06:39 PM

The extension services tells us a lot of things shouldn't be done that rural people have been doing safely for generations. They are a good resource, especially for folks who are beginners at canning, etc., but common sense goes a long way, too.