PDA

View Full Version : Sauerkraut

prairiemom
03-25-2008, 10:06 PM
I suppose since this is about preserving food it goes in the food storage category, right?

Last week we started a batch of sauerkraut. You know how very year for St. Patrick's Day cabbage goes on sale? This year wasn't as good as most years--15?/lb instead of the usual 6-8?/lb. But even so each jar of bottle 'kraut will cost about 25?, a big improvement over the $3 (or more) that a qt costs in the store.

This year's sales are over of course, but for those that would like to try it, it's even better with freshly harvested cabbage. If you're not crazy about sauerkraut try homemade--it really tastes much better than the store stuff and you can make it less sour to suit your tastes.

Recipe:
15 lbs cabbage, cored and finely shredded
9 Tbsp canning (non-iodized) salt

You need to cure your sauerkraut in a non-metalic container. I have a 5 gal crock, ideal because it keeps the temperature more steady, but a clean 5 gal plastic bucket will do also fine.

Layer cabbage with salt. I shred about 5 lbs, sprinkle with 3Tbsp salt, toss it a little bit to mix, press it down till the juice starts coming up and then another 5 lbs, salt, etc. Press down on the cabbage to help extract the moisture. When you are done your cabbage should be covered with a brine (another difference with doing spring sauerkraut: the cabbage is usually drier and doesn't create enough brine to cover the cabbage. So I add a brine of 1 qt water with 1 Tbsp salt.)

Cover cabbage with a clean muslin (I use a flour sack towel), tuck in the edges and weight everything down. I use a dinner plate the perfectly fits my crock weighted by a large Tupperware bowl filled with water.

Formation of bubble indicates fermentation is taking place. Ideal temp for fermentation is 68-72? F. Fermentation is usually complete in 4-6 wks.

After 4 wks start tasting for sourness. The longer it ferments the more sour, so this is how you can control how sour your 'kraut is.

Rotted kraut is usually found at the surface where the cabbage has not been covered sufficiently to exclude air during fermentation. This scum does not cause trouble so long as you skim it off before it stops fermentation. Check every day or two and remove any mold or scum that is forming. Wash the plate and weight periodically.

To process: Heat sauerkraut, pack into jars, covering with brine to 1/2" headspace. Process in hot water bath 15 min for pts, 20 min for qts.

It really is super easy--it took my 2 boys and I 30 min to core and shred 18 lbs of cabbage using a food processor. 30 min start to finish, including clean up. That will get us about 21 qts of sauerkraut. It's a great way to preserve cabbage and increase the family's veggies.

NRA
03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Love kraut.

Charsee
03-25-2008, 10:52 PM
I read once how someone thought that sauerkraut would help with the bird flu. Don't know how, but of course I ran out and bought a bottle. Are there any good health reasons to eat sauerkraut?

sunsinger
03-25-2008, 11:29 PM
I have been told that it helps to re-establish the gut flora and bacteria.

level3Navigator
03-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Last week we started a batch of sauerkraut. You know how very year for St. Patrick's Day cabbage goes on sale? This year wasn't as good as most years--15?/lb instead of the usual 6-8?/lb.

Thanks for the kraut recipe, but good heavens, where did you find cabbage for only 15 cents a pound! This year I saw it in the grocery store, on sale, at 69 cents a pound and remembered fondly (being a kraut lover, too) when it was three pounds a dollar (33 cents a pound) back in the day.

Kenneth
03-26-2008, 02:30 PM
While serving a mission in Belgium, Brussels, I really learned to love Sauerkraut.

'Choucroute' is french for sauerkraut but it is also the name of a dish that has several meats and sausage in it. Whenever we were invited to a members house and they said 'choucroute'... well I was in heaven!

prairiemom
03-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the kraut recipe, but good heavens, where did you find cabbage for only 15 cents a pound! This year I saw it in the grocery store, on sale, at 69 cents a pound and remembered fondly (being a kraut lover, too) when it was three pounds a dollar (33 cents a pound) back in the day.

Yeah, normally it's 55-65? around here, but it goes on sale every St. Patrick's Day. We also bought 5-6 corned beef roasts and 20 lb potatoes that week--all on sale for St. Patrick's. Maybe there aren't enough Catholics in UT :l0 (56):

level3Navigator
03-27-2008, 10:07 AM
While serving a mission in Belgium, Brussels, I really learned to love Sauerkraut.

'Choucroute' is french for sauerkraut but it is also the name of a dish that has several meats and sausage in it. Whenever we were invited to a members house and they said 'choucroute'... well I was in heaven!

Choucroute is a favorite dish in our household, too. Whenever we have some leftover ham, I put that in along with my own homemade Boer wors (like bratwurst). Since the kids don't care for the sour, well fermeted kraut taste, I usually just make it fresh.

Cool that you served your mission there. I love the Belgians, they are great people!

prairiemom
04-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, today I canned my sauerkraut and got 13 qts. As I was putting it into bottles, 16yods tasted it and proclaimed it my best batch yet. :thumbsup:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/prairie_chuck/april2008012.jpg

thor610
04-23-2008, 05:59 AM
My father used to make sauerkraut in glass jars, in which eventually the cabbage turns brown. It looked horrible, but it tasted great.

sunsinger
04-23-2008, 07:22 AM
Well, today I canned my sauerkraut and got 13 qts. As I was putting it into bottles, 16yods tasted it and proclaimed it my best batch yet. :thumbsup:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/prairie_chuck/april2008012.jpg

Actually we have two of those crocks. One was used for moonshine during the prohibition. You don't think there would be any pollutes leftover from whiskey making do you? I wouldn't want to break the WofW when eating my kraut. I love sauerkraut, but no one else does. I could make pint jars and everyone would be happy.

Is there a specific variety of cabbage for kraut making. Would bok choy do it?

prairiemom
04-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Brown comes from being exposed to air.

One was used for moonshine during the prohibition. You don't think there would be any pollutes leftover from whiskey making do you? I wouldn't want to break the WofW when eating my kraut.

:l0 (50):

I can't imagine any residue after 70 yrs! :tongue_smilie: Crocks are great because the glazing is impermeable.

When I started making it, dh and I were the only ones who liked it. Now all the boys are 'kraut fans.

DMGNUT
04-23-2008, 06:06 PM
To process: Heat sauerkraut, pack into jars, covering with brine to 1/2" headspace. Process in hot water bath 15 min for pts, 20 min for qts.

Prairiemom,
Could you elaborate on this part of the recipe? What do you mean by "heat sauerkraut"? And about the hot water bath, how hot of water, how deep of water? Also, do you cover the sauerkraut with the brine it fermented in, or do you make and use fresh brine?
The recipe sounds great and I want to try it, but this is new to me, so I need a little more detail.
Thanks,
Gregg

prairiemom
04-23-2008, 10:46 PM
"Process in hot water bath..." is canning-ese. It means put it in a canning pot, cover with water, water should be 1" or so above the jars. The water needs to be at a gentle boil (not a hard boil) for 20 min if you have qt jars, 15 min if you have pts.

The sauerkraut needs to be hot when you pack it into the jars. So put it into a big stock pot and bring it to a boil. Pack the 'kraut into the jars, fill with the brine it fermented in. If you need more brine, 1 qt of boiling water with 1 Tbsp of salt. I usually have to make 1 1/2 - 2 qts brine to add to what's already there. You do want the brine to cover the 'kraut in the jar, or it may be discolored. Discoloration isn't bad for you though. So pack the 'kraut in to about 1" from the top, then cover with brine so that is about 1/2"-3/4" from the top.

Since about 18lbs of cabbage gets me about 14 qts of 'kraut, I only bring 1/2 of it to a boil, pack the first 7 jars and start processing them in the canner. Then about 5-10 min later I start heating up the remaining half, once it's at a boil, pack it into the jars, put the lids on and about that time the first batch is done. I take the first batch out of the pot and put the second batch in. I don't like to heat up the whole contents of the crock at once, because I would have to reheat the second half and that's too much cooking, IMHO.

Does that make sense?

DMGNUT
04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the clarifications. I think I'm "good to go" now. :)

arbilad
03-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Given the cabbage specials in the stores right now, I thought that I would resurrect this dead thread.

waif69
03-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I remember my grandparents had a crock in the basement that they would move the mold away from the top and scoop out the kraut for meals. It seemed creepy, but was always tasty.

CurtisG
03-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Actually we have two of those crocks. One was used for moonshine during the prohibition. You don't think there would be any pollutes leftover from whiskey making do you? I wouldn't want to break the WofW when eating my kraut.
Sorry I took so long to reply, but any alcohol would have evaporated away in a matter of days unless it was airtight sealed:smile (2):
My wife started a pot of corned beef & cabbage this morning

arbilad
10-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Bump

arbilad
10-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Bumping old thread.

PhoenixRising
10-10-2014, 03:08 PM
When I do vegetable ferments, I open up a capsule of probiotic supplement (usually PB8) and mix it in with the brine. It shortens the process to 1-2 weeks, depending on ambient temperature. You could do the same with a little yogurt, assuming it still has live cultures in it.

constable01
10-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Yes there are benefits to eating Sauerkraut!!! As a Pennsylvania Duetchman, It is my duty to inform you that Pork and Sauerkraut on New Years eve baked with a Pork roast, Kielbasa, Knockwurst, Wiener Schnitzel(Hotdogs) and Bratwurst. Is how you ensure good luck and prosperity for the coming year!! Sauerkraut over mashed potatoes with Heinz Ketchup is just awesomness.

PhoenixRising
10-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Yes there are benefits to eating Sauerkraut!!! As a Pennsylvania Duetchman, It is my duty to inform you that Pork and Sauerkraut on New Years eve baked with a Pork roast, Kielbasa, Knockwurst, Wiener Schnitzel(Hotdogs) and Bratwurst. Is how you ensure good luck and prosperity for the coming year!! Sauerkraut over mashed potatoes with Heinz Ketchup is just awesomness.

My maternal grandmother was a Pennsylvania Deutch, family name Haupt. She didn't speak German. I believe her parents spoke German, and her grandparents were immigrants.

Harm
10-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Love Sourkraut. Wish I could still eat it. And I'm the only one in my house who likes it. Sadly no reason to do it at home anymore.

PhoenixRising
10-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Sadly no reason to do it at home anymore.
Blasphemy!

Harm
10-14-2014, 09:47 AM
If the one person who likes it can't eat it?

PhoenixRising
10-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Aw, that's a bummer!

Dolcezza
10-19-2014, 03:28 PM
Hello there!

I thought I would chime in, as I've been preparing fermented foods for a year now. There are many questions above, which are answered here:
http://www.nourishingtreasures.com/index.php/2012/05/15/the-science-behind-sauerkraut-fermentation/

Now, I have to say that what you call sauerkraut in this thread, to me is cabbage preserved in brine - it's a bit different. Am I correct?
One thing is to keep raw cabbage in slightly warm water, another thing is to kill all the cultures with the temperatures quoted above. That's just veggies in brine and they are (probably) very sweet compared to the truly fermented product, at least from what I am gathering.

Last year I wanted to learn this fermenting art but I was so confused about the whole process that I bought a nice book on fermentation and studied it all, then applied, and what comes out is a raw, and very very sour, product.

First I shred the cabbage (or other vegetables, if I am making kimchi for example), then I mix it with salt, (sea salt only!) and then I MASSAGE it for 20 minutes until all the juices run and I have enough liquid to almost cover the cabbages. At that point I mix well, put in a glass jar, press hard, and sometimes add a bit of room temperature water. I keep one week on the counter, and then I put in the fridge.

I see many bubbles, the product almost burst out, I eat 2 spoons a day, and when the jar is about to finish I simply use 2-3 spoons of the remaining juice to start a new culture in a new jar, with new cabbage. I've been doing it for over a year. It seems to work.

Apparently the probiotics one gets from RAW vegetables (with no boiling water whatsoever, which KILLS all the enzymes and cultures) are over 300 strands, and there are trillions of them.

This is what I understood so far.

I tried the so called sauerkraut from the shops and they were all lame, sweetly, pasteurised versions on mine with no raw probiotic goodness.

I am interested to see what your experiences are with this. The article I mentioned in my link explains at what temperatures the live cultures and enzyme die, and the entire process is well described. However, from my book I read that even one week of fermentation is excellent and if the taste is sour one can put that product in the fridge and have benefits.

There are many different opinions around on this topic - difficult to get the right answer. I have also prepared the mother for sourdough for many months in order to understand and observe the process well, but unfortunately I cannot bear the taste of the bread in the end, LOL

Anyway, thanks for bearing with me - I like to learn about fermentation!

Dolcezza

arbilad
10-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Well, for me, part of the point of sauerkraut is that it helps preserve the cabbage long term. It's a trade off. Heat may kill some beneficial strains of food, but it allows you to preserve large amounts of cabbage when it is cheap.