PDA

View Full Version : Aurora cannery

arbilad
03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
The Aurora cannery in Colorado is offering canned meat products again. They have been certified as a USDA food processing facility.
I have included the Word document sent by the cannery for details of how to sign up.

LoudmouthMormon
03-13-2010, 09:05 AM
I got that too Arbi. I'm glad I'll be able to get chicken and pork chunks again. I'm less glad that the gubbmint forced changes.

Pre-gov: The cannery was an extension of the Church Welfare system - you work for what you get. 15-40 people would show up and put in 3-6 hours each and go home with their food storage.

Post-gov:
"The cannery has been updated with enough equipment to minimize labor requirements while maximizing production. Because of this, a small number of people are able to produce enough to cover the needs of the whole stake. By making stake assignments, the cannery is fulfilling its mission by offering opportunities for service, caring for the poor and the needy, and teaching the principles of self reliance."

Still manages to fill it's mission, in ways that have been limited, controlled, and overseen by the government.

LM

phylm
03-13-2010, 05:19 PM
It is great that the canned meat is available now. I didn't know that the meat was available to anyone but the welfare recipients.

We have been taking advantage of the frequent meat sales during the past year. 10 lbs of chicken legs and thighs for as little as $3.80, and always available at $5.90 at WalMart. We have more than 150 lbs canned. Pork butts @ $.98 a lb. We must have more than 100 lbs put up now. And every time we see hamburg at $1.50 or less, we can that. We try to buy at least a dozen jars a month, and were very lucky to be able to buy 168 used quart jars awhile ago. I'm planning to have a lesson on meat canning for my prep class again soon. Some of them are already doing it, I'm happy to say! And, in a few weeks, back to canning green beans!!

mirkwood
03-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Several years back we got some of the canned turkey. I couldn't use it. It smelled like wet dog food when I opened it.

signseeker
03-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Did the cat like it? Oooh... I guess that means it was really cat food. :d0 (21):

:ack2:

Abrahamswife
03-13-2010, 06:54 PM
The Aurora cannerry won't do Turkey because it is GROSS! But everything else is great. Part of the reason for the changes, it is not all government regulations, is that there is a high demand for the meat products and 50-75 people show up and that is too many. There is just not enough work for them and it becomes a hazard with all the people in a small space. I like the new system. It will help get products into the homes of people who cannot come to the cannery because of health, work or other obligations. The church is doing all they can to get food in the members homes.

By the way I was there the last two weeks. We did cream of mushroom soup, 7, count them, 7 people from the whole region showed up. Two were non-members. We did chicken noodle soup this past week and again there were only 7 people. Next week we were scheduled for tomato soup but it was canceled because I was the only one signed up. We are blessed to have a cannery in our midst but it is not used as much as it should be. If you live in the area PLEASE encourage people to come to the cannery. The only reason we are still open is because we do ALOT of humanitarian canning, not to be confused with welfare canning for the storehouse. Humanitarian canning is for the local food banks. The church in this area does ALOT of community service projects.

mirkwood
03-14-2010, 12:09 AM
No, I threw it away. The cats don't eat people food.

Noahs ARK
03-14-2010, 12:23 AM
And every time we see hamburg at $1.50 or less, we can that.

How do you can hamburger? I think I've seen every kind of canned meat, but not hamburger. :confused:

KF7EEC
03-14-2010, 12:27 AM
...By the way I was there the last two weeks. ... 7 people from the whole region showed up... We are blessed to have a cannery in our midst but it is not used as much as it should be. If you live in the area PLEASE encourage people to come to the cannery. The only reason we are still open is because we do ALOT of humanitarian canning... The church in this area does ALOT of community service projects.

I went to the local Home Storage Center / Cannery a couple of weeks ago. Part of the reason I went was for this reason. There were 2-wards there, mine, and one from the other side of town. I would guess that when I got there, there was about 20-people there (and some had already left). I was pretty surprised.

I haven't heard about the Home Storage Center doing humanitarian canning. Thanks for the info. Interesting. I'll have to look into that here.

arbilad
03-14-2010, 10:24 AM
How do you can hamburger? I think I've seen every kind of canned meat, but not hamburger. :confused:

The same way you can every other meat, you put it in a can or canning jar and put it in a pressure canner. You pre-cook the hamburger, of course, which you don't do with many meats. But the pressure canning process cooks it further, killing off all bacteria.

Noahs ARK
03-14-2010, 02:18 PM
You pre-cook the hamburger, of course, which you don't do with many meats.

Ah! That's what I wondered.

phylm
03-14-2010, 08:23 PM
You fry the hamburg until it is barely pink. Put in jars, add 1/2 tsp salt to pints, 1 tsp to quarts. Add boiling water to 1 inch of the top. Clean rims, put on covers and process. Hamburg or other ground meat are the only the meat that needs water added. The chicken, beef chunks and pork makes its own broth.

I don't have the times for processing right at hand, but any canning question can be had online. Just type in "canning meat", for instance, and it will give you complete instructions.

phylm
03-14-2010, 08:29 PM
You fry the hamburg until it is pink. Put in jars and add 1/2 tsp salt to pints, 1 tsp for quarts. Add boiling water to within an inch of the top. Clean rims, put on covers and process. I don't have the processing times right at hand, but you can get any canning info online. Type in "canning meat," and it will give you complete instructions and processing times.

Hamburg and other ground meats are the only meats that you add water to. Chicken, beef chunks and pork make their own broth.

Noahs ARK
03-14-2010, 08:44 PM
You fry the hamburg until it is pink. Put in jars and add 1/2 tsp salt to pints, 1 tsp for quarts. Add boiling water to within an inch of the top.

Thank you! I recently bought some canned hamburger from one of the websites and am anxious to try it.

mormnlady
03-15-2010, 12:43 PM
I have canned hamburger without cooking it first and with cooking it
first. Not cooked it looks like its all in a ball. Cooking makes it a little
better, but when in a hurry, I don't cook it. Worked out fine.
It should be pressured at 15 lbs (high altitude) for 75 min. for pints and 90 min. for
quarts. I have done chicken chunks, and beef chunks from either
roasts or steaks that are on sale.

phylm
03-15-2010, 06:15 PM
My first post disappeared, so I repeated myself. Sorry!

Pork butt on sale again this week at $.98 a lb., so out comes the canner!