PDA

View Full Version : If you had $5,000.....

Noahs ARK
03-26-2010, 04:08 PM
At what point do we stop doing "normal" things because we've become consumed with being prepared?

We need some yard work done this year, but I'm scared to spend the money. I keep thinking that $5,000 would buy an awful lot of food, water, ammo.

So...

Would you get the yard work done?
Would you put the $5,000 into more storage?
Would you stash the cash somewhere for future use?

I think if it was a serious issue - like septic, roofing, plumbing or something like that, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But this isn't what I consider "necessary". It's cosmetic. I sooooo love having a beautiful yard and landscaping, but I'm feeling guilty/nervous about spending the money on something frivolous.

What say you??

mirkwood
03-26-2010, 04:19 PM
I skipped out on some cosmetic work in my yard a few years back. The price tag was $10k. It wasn't worth it to me back when $$$ was worth more. Now, personally I wouldn't use $5k for cosmetic yardwork. But then I'm about to let my wife use around the same amount for cosmetic front room work. I may lose my personal use of the patrol car this year which will force me to buy another car. It's all about planting cherry trees when you are doing everything else you are supposed to. If you don't have a reasonable or better supply of food, I'd say that should take precedent.

signseeker
03-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Excellent question. For me it goes back to timing. Which, of course, nobody knows.

So ... if the SHTF this summer, obviously we don't do the yard.

If it's 200 years away, heck yes! Get that beautiful yard going!

(This is where for me it gets "paralyzing" ... where you stop living normal life cuz the boogie man is right around the corner! :yikes: )

arbilad
03-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Here's my opinion: if you already have your 3 months of food plus your longer term storage foods, as well as fuel to cook it with, and clothing sufficient for a year, then spend away on your lawn. You will have fulfilled the Lord's commandment. Now, it won't hurt you to use the money for preparedness items, and you may potentially be happier later if you do. But if you've already fulfilled the commandment, then you can spend on the lawn guilt free, knowing that you've done what the Lord asked you to do. If you don't have that storage, that should absolutely get priority over the lawn.

phylm
03-26-2010, 05:08 PM
At what point do we stop doing "normal" things because we've become consumed with being prepared?

We need some yard work done this year, but I'm scared to spend the money. I keep thinking that $5,000 would buy an awful lot of food, water, ammo.

So...

I think if it was a serious issue - like septic, roofing, plumbing or something like that, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But this isn't what I consider "necessary". It's cosmetic. I sooooo love having a beautiful yard and landscaping, but I'm feeling guilty/nervous about spending the money on something frivolous.

What say you??
Can you incorporate some fruit trees, grape vines, and berry bushes into your yard work, Noah? Very useful, and mitigates the guilt a bit, no?

signseeker
03-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Maybe we should find out more about this yardwork... hmmm....

Are we talking grass? Like you have no grass? Just patches of weeds between the vehicles up on blocks? (Just trying for a mental image here...)

Or are you talking like a Yard Crashers episode with 30 year old landscape trees being brought in and those bricks that are $5 a pop?

Noahs ARK
03-26-2010, 07:44 PM
(This is where for me it gets "paralyzing" ... where you stop living normal life cuz the boogie man is right around the corner! :yikes: )

That's exactly what I mean, signseeker!

It's like I'm AFRAID to do anything "fun" for fear I'll regret it because I should've done something more to prepare. Or should've stashed the money to help pay my bills if TSHTF.

You summed it up perfectly!!!

But I'm tired of being AFRAID all the time. Not that I live in fear - but I always think...maybe I need more ammo, more food, more blankets....What if? What if? What if?

Noahs ARK
03-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Can you incorporate some fruit trees, grape vines, and berry bushes into your yard work, Noah? Very useful, and mitigates the guilt a bit, no?

Yes - that's what I'd like to do.

Here's what I already have: 3 peach, 3 apricot, 3 sweet cherry, 3 plum, 3 pear & 3 sour cherry trees. Blueberry bushes. Blackberries. 6 grape vines.

But I'd love to incorporate raspberries, currants, asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries.

THAT part of the project makes me feel okay. :l0 (51):

Noahs ARK
03-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Maybe we should find out more about this yardwork... hmmm....

Are we talking grass? Like you have no grass? Just patches of weeds between the vehicles up on blocks? (Just trying for a mental image here...)

Or are you talking like a Yard Crashers episode with 30 year old landscape trees being brought in and those bricks that are $5 a pop?

LOL - no, I have grass. We have 3 acres and slowly we've been landscaping it. A little bit each year.

Let's see - along the front of the house, we have bricks holding back the mulch. We need to put in taller stones to hold in the mulch.

By our back gate, we have nothing but dirt cuz it's pure shade. I want to put down stone pavers, so we can actually walk thru there w/o tracking into the house. Plus - my hubby's wheelchair wheels spin in that area, so he has to stay away from there. I don't want him limited as to where he can go in our yard.

We need fresh gravel brought in for our driveway, which is huge. We have a split driveway that goes on both sides of a landscaped island and then some (eek!), so that's a big project.

Then...to KEEP the gravel in the driveway, I'd like to put some kind of stone edging along the one side of the driveway (it would match the stones along the front of the house). The other side is already landscaped, so the gravel stays there.

I have an entire side yard that's 40 x 200 or so - that's where I want the grass ripped up and put all my raspberries, etc. Half of that area gets full sun, so it would be a perfect spot for gardening.

A lot of the $$ will go for labor fees cuz the lawn service will do these projects for us. There's no way we can do these projects ourself.

All of these projects will make my yardwork easier on me - that's one of my goals. I just can't keep up with it all by myself.

Noahs ARK
03-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Here's my opinion: if you already have your 3 months of food plus your longer term storage foods, as well as fuel to cook it with, and clothing sufficient for a year, then spend away on your lawn. You will have fulfilled the Lord's commandment.

We have enough food storage for us and my mom for 2+ years. We have food, blankets, paper products, firewood, candles, guns & ammo, other assorted self-defense items. The only thing I have to work on is more water - I need a couple of those huge 350 gallon tanks, but I'm still working on where to put them.

prairiemom
03-26-2010, 09:05 PM
If I had my yr's supply and 3mo supply, fuel and misc tools for self-sufficiency (i.e. woodburning stove, wheat grinder, dehydrator, etc) then YES, I'd spend it on the yard--esp for the things you describe. Your home is a long-term investment and needs to be kept up in good repair--both outside and inside.

Noahs ARK
03-26-2010, 09:31 PM
If I had my yr's supply and 3mo supply, fuel and misc tools for self-sufficiency (i.e. woodburning stove, wheat grinder, dehydrator, etc) then YES, I'd spend it on the yard--esp for the things you describe. Your home is a long-term investment and needs to be kept up in good repair--both outside and inside.

I don't have a woodburning stove, but I do have a woodburning fireplace. I have my wheat grinder (electric and hand crank) & dehydrator.

We were feeling comfortable with getting the work done and then the new Healthcare Reform passed, so we kinda spazzed out and started thinking maybe we shouldn't spend the money. Our yard is so beautiful, tho...I hate not doing the upkeep to KEEP it that way. Unfortunately we have to pay somebody to do it for us now - it was a whole lot cheaper when we did it ourselves. Still...we're blessed, so I don't want to sound like I'm complaining.

ZDMZ
03-26-2010, 10:06 PM
I hope spending $5000 is not an all or nothing deal.
Spend some of it on your yard and some on storage and put some into savings. Although, it sounds like your storage is pretty well in place.

I would not feel bad about spending some on the yard, especially if that is what you like. Get it done and enjoy it.

Noahs ARK
03-26-2010, 10:12 PM
I hope spending $5000 is not an all or nothing deal.
Spend some of it on your yard and some on storage and put some into savings. Although, it sounds like your storage is pretty well in place.

I would not feel bad about spending some on the yard, especially if that is what you like. Get it done and enjoy it.

No, it's not an all or nothing deal. We'll be spacing the work out over the summer, so I'll still be able to work on my storage. I'll continue to buy the super-sale from Emerg Essentials and stock up at the grocery store when they have great deals.

I'm really excited about getting the side yard done cuz that's part of my preparedness - raspberry bushes, etc. WooHooooo!

I just got spooked and knew I'd get some good advice here.

Thanks to all!!

signseeker
03-27-2010, 08:24 AM
I definitely think it's important that your hubby is able to get around his yard and having a driveway in decent condition! I'd love to see pics of your yard... sounds wonderful! :)

Noahs ARK
03-27-2010, 09:30 AM
I'd love to see pics of your yard... sounds wonderful! :)

Here's my Kodak Gallery - hope it works!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/photoPicker/albums.jsp?cm_ven=ptnr_kes&cm_pla=web&sourceid=670087587503&cm_ite=existing_album&UV=980919853605_757107988113&cm_cat=Droid

mirkwood
03-27-2010, 10:19 AM
No photos.

Noahs ARK
03-27-2010, 01:16 PM
No photos.

Oh rats! I'll get hubby to help me post some pictures later.

phylm
03-27-2010, 06:55 PM
If you'd like instructions on a very inexpensive way to start your asparagus bed, let me know. We started a 20' X 20' bed from seed in 2007, and we're getting production on it this year.

LEVE
03-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I'd start putting the money into a electrical generator... such as a windmill or solar panels.

Noahs ARK
03-27-2010, 08:34 PM
If you'd like instructions on a very inexpensive way to start your asparagus bed, let me know. We started a 20' X 20' bed from seed in 2007, and we're getting production on it this year.

Sure! Happy for any help. Can I start the purple asparagus from seed? I love raw purple asparagus.

Noahs ARK
03-27-2010, 08:36 PM
I'd start putting the money into a electrical generator... such as a windmill or solar panels.

Solar panels......I think they're on my Wish List, but I'd forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

Here's the link I'd saved - it's for solar panel patio covers. We're thinking of covering our deck in the Fall....this could could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Noahs ARK
03-27-2010, 10:13 PM
I give up!! :frown2:

I've been trying to get my pictures here from the Kodak Gallery. The only way I can "share" the photos is to e-mail the link to somebody.

That still won't get the link HERE, so you can see my yard.

There's got to be a way to share my pics.

Anyone have suggestions??

DMGNUT
03-28-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm computer illiterate, so when someone lets you know... I'll know too. :confused (3):

mirkwood
03-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Open two windows. One this thread and one the photo gallery. Right click each picture you want to put here and click on copy. Then come to this thread where you have started a reply and put your cursor in the reply box. Right click and and click on paste. Hit enter a couple of times to create some space and then repeat the process.

Noahs ARK
03-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Open two windows. One this thread and one the photo gallery. Right click each picture you want to put here and click on copy. Then come to this thread where you have started a reply and put your cursor in the reply box. Right click and and click on paste. Hit enter a couple of times to create some space and then repeat the process.

Okay - I can try that. Thanks!

:willy_nilly:

BackBlast
03-30-2010, 11:57 AM
That's exactly what I mean, signseeker!

It's like I'm AFRAID to do anything "fun" for fear I'll regret it because I should've done something more to prepare. Or should've stashed the money to help pay my bills if TSHTF.

You summed it up perfectly!!!

But I'm tired of being AFRAID all the time. Not that I live in fear - but I always think...maybe I need more ammo, more food, more blankets....What if? What if? What if?

You'll burn yourself out if you worry over every last penny that might not have been spent in a perfect fashion... First, you must acknoledge that you don't know what "perfect" is since you are intentionally withheld the specifics of your future.

I'd suggest that you should establish a budget you feel good about. We'll say 50% of spare cash goes prep and 50% to the yard, or some other ratio you feel good about, maybe 80/20 or 40/60. Do what you can inside those budgets, that way you're progressing in both and not ignoring either.

You *should* have some play money, some beautifying money, or whatever you want to call it. It may not be directly satisfying an essential need, but we do need to satisfy the occasional want and I think you'll be happier if you allow yourself to do that.

If you burn yourself out, in all likelyness you will go through more resources and time getting unburnt than simply rewarding yourself on occasion.

BackBlast
03-30-2010, 12:12 PM

What say you??

We just moved into a new house, took out a mortgage. First time home buyers..

New construction, so we have *no* land scaping, little to no furniture, etc etc..

My current principle focus has been to stash cash. Mostly because I just took on this huge new liability and I will only feel comfortable with a large reserve, keeping a roof over my head is more important to me than filling that roof with stuff. I also see a large depression headed our way, I think we were lacking a little in the savings dept and we're attempting to remedy that.

However, we do need to put some work and money into the house to make it ours... We'll probably take my own advice and put a budgetary limit on purchases to keep everything on track and pace ourselves. I'd like to get up to two years of expenses in cash. Not there yet, but we're on track to get there early next year... I just don't see us climbing out of this depression anytime soon.

Anyway, I don't know your situation. But I, myself, would be tempted to keep a good portion of that $5k in cash.

phylm
03-30-2010, 01:14 PM
We planted a pack of asparagus seed in the spring of 2007...seeded it in about four feet of the row and left it until the next spring.

Then Hubby dug trenches about 12 inches deep and 12 inches wide where we planned to have the bed. He then tilled the bottom of the trenches and worked in old cow manure and some 10-10-10. We set out the small plants about a foot apart in the bottom of the trench, then pulled in dirt from the sides around the plants as they grew, until the bed was all level. (This is the best way to set out asparagus plants you've bought from a nursery...only after setting out the plants in the trench, just pull in all the extra dirt over them.)

This way, when you cut down the old plants in the fall, the bed is ready to roto-till the following spring. You also can then spread salt thickly over the bed and have good weed control all summer. Asparagus is a seaside plant and tolerates the salt.

I would expect you could treat any kind of asparagus the same.

We expanded our original bed by about 20 X 20 feet last year, but the 2 year old bed is beginning to produce beautifully.

signseeker
03-30-2010, 01:26 PM
How do you till the bed without killing the asparagus roots and stuff? Doesn't it come back every year?

phylm
03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
The roots are 12 inches below the bed surface.

signseeker
03-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Hmm... guess we'll use the small tiller then...?

Noahs ARK
03-30-2010, 07:39 PM
You *should* have some play money, some beautifying money, or whatever you want to call it. It may not be directly satisfying an essential need, but we do need to satisfy the occasional want and I think you'll be happier if you allow yourself to do that..

I agree. Today I was outside and can see clearly what needs to be done, so I'm gonna get it done.

I decided to space it out over the summer rather than have it all done at once. Then I can still have some cash on hand. I plan on still being able to spend X-amount on prep stuff, so I'm feeling pretty good about the way it's all playing out.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to post my pics.

Noahs ARK
03-30-2010, 07:43 PM
We planted a pack of asparagus seed in the spring of 2007...seeded it in about four feet of the row and left it until the next spring.

*snipped for space*

We expanded our original bed by about 20 X 20 feet last year, but the 2 year old bed is beginning to produce beautifully.

Thank you!!

Earthling
03-30-2010, 10:15 PM
I am glad you are doing your yard. You will get a lot of enjoyment out of it - it will refresh your spirit and that is very important. As was mentioned our homes are investments and we need to take care of them.

My dad didn't want to spend money on cosmetic items but it made my mom miserable at times. She lived with green carpet from the 60's or 70's way too long. They should have done it sooner and enjoyed it.

We are currently redoing our dining room - it will be enjoyed and help the home's value. Balance is important.

Noahs ARK
03-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Balance is important.

You're so right!

While I believe 100% in being prepared, I also love my yard and we've worked so hard on it over the past 6 years. I would hate to stop our projects, especially since we're housebound most of the time.

We rarely get out because my husband is ill so much, so it gives him great pleasure to sit out in the yard and enjoy the fruits of our labors. Just today we were sitting out on the deck and he was commenting on how much all our fruit trees, bushes, flowers, etc.. have grown since we planted them all.

That's when I decided it was really important to continue our plans.

Buffie
03-31-2010, 10:33 AM
BackBlast, as you work on your new home don't forget the possibilities offered by thrift stores. If you visit them frequently, you'll find things that are both attractive and useful to make your home nicer. About three years ago I found two very comfortable chairs at the local Goodwill. They had no stains or tears. Perfect for the den, where my three dogs like to lounge on the furniture. I put large pillows on the seats and the chairs have been great. Total investment: $50.00. And don't forget yard sales, where you can find everything there is.