PDA

View Full Version : Jump in rice price fuels fears of unrest

MAAD
03-27-2008, 02:04 PM
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d6f1cd74-f...nclick_check=1 (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d6f1cd74-fc29-11dc-9229-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1)

Jump in rice price fuels fears of unrest
By Javier Blas in London and Daniel Ten Kate in Bangkok

Published: March 27 2008 18:30 | Last updated: March 27 2008 18:30

Rice prices jumped 30 per cent to an all-time high on Thursday, raising fears of fresh outbreaks of social unrest across Asia where the grain is a staple food for more than 2.5bn people.

The increase came after Egypt, a leading exporter, imposed a formal ban on selling rice abroad to keep local prices down, and the Philippines announced plans for a major purchase of the grain in the international market to boost supplies. Global rice stocks are at their lowest since 1976.

While prices of wheat, corn and other agricultural commodities have surged since late 2006, the increase in rice prices only started in January.

The Egyptian export ban formalises a previously poorly enforced curb and follows similar restrictions imposed by Vietnam and India, the world?s second- and third-largest exporters. Cambodia, a small seller, also on Thursday announced an export ban.

These foreign sales restrictions have removed about a third of the rice traded in the international market.

?I have no idea how importing countries will get rice,? said Chookiat Ophaswongse, president of the Thai Rice Exporters Association. He forecast that prices would rise further.

The Philippines, the world?s largest buyer of the grain, said on Thursday it wanted to purchase 500,000 tonnes after it failed to buy a similar amount earlier this month. It is struggling to import 1.8m-2.1m tonnes to cover a production shortfall and on Thursday confirmed it would tap emergency stocks maintained by Vietnam and Thailand.

Rice is also a staple in Africa, particularly for small countries such as Cameroon, Burkina Faso and Senegal that have already suffered social unrest because of high food prices.

Thai rice, a global benchmark, was quoted on Thursday at $760 a tonne, up about 30 per cent from the previous daily quote of about $580 a tonne, according to Reuters data. Some traders, however, said the daily jump was not as steep, adding that Thai rice had already traded at about $700 a tonne this week.

Rice prices have doubled since January, when the grain traded at about $380 a tonne, boosted by strong Asian, Middle Eastern and African demand.

Additional reporting by Roel Landingin in Manila
Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008

sarge712
03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
I saw for myself the price jump first hand. I went to Sam's today and a 50# bag of rice was $17.68. 5 months ago it was $10.15 per 50# bag. Pinto beans were the same price as before at $5.68 per 10# bag. There were no shortages of anything though no one sells wheat around here.

As a side note, as I was loading the final bags of rice on to my flatbed cart, an elderly man and woman approached me and asked if I was opening a Chinese restaurant. I laughed and told them straight up that I was putting some back for a rainy day. They had just arrived and had a lot of questions about storage and rice. They turned out to be doing the same as I was. He was a local minister. They were very nice and sounded a lot like many of us. He did say they were kosher and she wore a Star of David yet he said they believed in Christ but worshipped on the "real" sabbath which they believed was Saturday. We discussed scripture and such. I think they were 7th Day Adventists of some sort but they refered to Heavenly Father as Yahweh and I can't remember the name they called Christ. They also made many references in Hebrew. They couldn't have been Jewish but seemed a mix of both Christianity and Jewish faiths. Very interesting and nice as can be. They also told me they would defend their flock but apologized for having guns. I told them not to worry as I am a strong Constitutionalist, especially with regard to the 2nd Amendment. The lady, who was black (and her hubby was white), said she was a good shot for a granny. I laughed and told her she had made my day. It was a great experience.

mirkwood
03-31-2008, 11:40 PM
I saw for myself the price jump first hand. I went to Sam's today and a 50# bag of rice was $17.68. 5 months ago it was $10.15 per 50# bag.

I was there today too and was about to post the same info. I picked up a few comfort foods on today's trip as well as some seasonings.

sarge712
04-01-2008, 06:58 AM
Yeah we did the comfort food thing too. Chocolate syrup to add to the powdered milk so kids will drink it, M&M's again, spaghetti sauce, canned soups, etc. Rice and beans will only go so far.

BTW I know you all in the West are big on wheat but is anyone leaning more toward rice and beans? We have a bunch of wheat but now have by far more rice and beans. We don't eat much bread as it is; not for any special reason though, We just dont.

bokbadok
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I finished out my rice storage a couple weeks ago at $13.75 for 50 lbs. What sweet peace obedience to the prophets brings.

sarge712
04-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Sweet peace is right. I am filling buckets today. The rice I get at Sam's was grown in Stuttgart, Arkansas, so I am not sure how foreign imports will affect where I get mine.

BTW, I checked my dates on the last time I was at Sam's. It was Feb 11, 2008, not November 2007 like I thought so the price went up pretty drastically from $10.15 to $17.68 in a mere six weeks not five months like I thought. Whew!... and I thought all this was going on elsewhere, not here...

bokbadok
04-01-2008, 11:22 AM
You know how there is no wheat to be found? The same thing will happen to rice as people get scared and start stockpiling. Get it now or eat your beans alone.

MAAD
04-01-2008, 12:05 PM
BTW I know you all in the West are big on wheat but is anyone leaning more toward rice and beans? We have a bunch of wheat but now have by far more rice and beans. We don't eat much bread as it is; not for any special reason though, We just dont.

D&C 89:14
All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;

D&c 89:17
Nevertheless, wheat for man...

Wheat has something like 24 essential nutrients. Man can live off wheat and water alone. If you sprout wheat and either juice the grass or eat it the nutritional value is increased 50 times.

Wheat grass juice is like the elixir of life. Nothing comes close to the medicinal and nutritional value of it.

sarge712
04-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Mebbe so about the wheat but I'll eat it last... or make whiskey out of it and trade that for toilet paper :D. We all really like rice and beans here and eat them often so it won't be much of a change for us. Besides "3 billion screamin Chinamen" (What flick? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?) can't be wrong.

mirkwood
04-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Not much of a bean fan, but I do like rice. I have more rice stored then I do wheat.

MAAD
04-01-2008, 04:16 PM
I like rice as much as the next guy, but unfortunately white rice does not store as long as wheat and it has very little nutritional value. Brown rice has more nutritional value, but has an even shorter storage life. This is why my staple is wheat and my rice is secondary.

arbilad
04-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Mebbe so about the wheat but I'll eat it last... or make whiskey out of it and trade that for toilet paper :D. We all really like rice and beans here and eat them often so it won't be much of a change for us. Besides "3 billion screamin Chinamen" (What flick? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?) can't be wrong.

Red Dawn

sarge712
04-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Homerun, arbilad

MAAD
04-02-2008, 01:30 PM
"Swing away, Merrill, swing away!"

- Signs

sarge712
04-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Man, I am 0 for 2. Okay what does "MFP-4073" signify?

MAAD
04-03-2008, 02:16 PM
"You've been training for this moment your entire life. The universe has been conspiring, if you think about it, to put you right here, right now."

- Jonas "Snake Doctor" Blane

sarge712
04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Doggone. You. Are. Good. Actually that's just my signature, but you're good nonetheless...now what does "MFP-4073" signify?

MAAD
04-04-2008, 03:08 PM
(MFP-4073) I'm stumpped on that one.

sarge712
04-04-2008, 03:19 PM
MFP = Main Force Patrol, the highway patrol unit from "Mad Max"

MFP 4073 = Max's badge number. I used to have this on the lower left hand corner of the back window of my patrol car until my chief guessed what MFP meant after he watched Mad Max re-run last December on AMC. Off it came...

We need a separate thread under maybe Humor for this stuff

prairiemom
04-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I like rice as much as the next guy, but unfortunately white rice does not store as long as wheat and it has very little nutritional value. Brown rice has more nutritional value, but has an even shorter storage life. This is why my staple is wheat and my rice is secondary.

I was just on the church website and they say that white rice can be stored 30 yrs. I'm sure that's under ideal circumstances. I couldn't live without rice. Well, I guess I could live without it, but it sure is nice to have.

mirkwood
04-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I used to have a license plate cover on my patrol car that read: Honk If You Have Warrants. They made us take stuff like that off several years ago.