PDA

View Full Version : Pur Water Packets 10cents cleans 10 liters of Water

ktcottle
06-21-2010, 05:46 PM
This seems to amazing. Anyone tried this personally?

http://www.csdw.org/csdw/pur_packet.shtml

you have to watch the short video on the site - all that dirty water is left clean.

The PUR Packet.
A quick, simple and easily transportable way to clean dirty water.

The PUR packet is an amazing innovation that quickly turns 10 liters of dirty, potentially deadly water into clean and drinkable water. And, because it is much smaller and easier to ship than plastic water bottles, anyone anywhere in the world can easily use it.

The PUR packet was developed by Procter & Gamble (P&G) in collaboration with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Created to enable people anywhere in the world to purify dirty water in a simpler, more effordable and convenient way, the PUR packet is based on technology similar to municipal water systems in developed countries.

The PUR packet is a powdered mixture that removes pathogenic microorganisms and suspended matter, making previously contaminated water clean.

PUR packets have been proven to eliminate disease causing microorganisms.
PUR packets result in removal of more than 99.99999% of intestinal bacteria (including those that cause cholera), 99.99% of intestinal viruses (including those that cause hepatitis A) and 99.9% of protozoa.
PUR packets have been proven to reduce diarrheal disease incidence in the developing world by up to 90%.
PUR packets remove dirt and other pollutants.
PUR packets can be used to make clean drinking water for the entire family, including infants, and are considered an effective technology by the World Health Organization.

More than one billion liters of clean drinking water have been provided by global relief organizations using PUR packets including PSI, AmeriCares, CARE, Samaritan's Purse and World Vision.

See facts and figures about the effects of drinking contaminated water and learn the benefits of successful water treatment in recent scientific studies.

ktcottle
06-21-2010, 05:51 PM
I found this "feedback" on one of the retailers websites for the Pur Packet

Wait to buy this product, 09/14/2009

I just purchased this product for inclusion in a disaster readiness kit. The chemical packets that come with the kit have a shelf life of three years. The current stock has less than 1 year left on that shelf life (Aug 2010). I contacted the company in an attempt to get replacement packets. The kits are not manufactured continually. It appears they only make them when the current stock expires. If you want to buy this kit for emergency preparedness, wait until September 2010 before buying it. At that time, P&G will have replaced the current stock on hand with new product that will have the expected 3 year shelf life.

If you plan to use this product immediately (or in the near future) then my criticism does not apply.

thermocouple
06-23-2010, 10:38 AM
This is a flocculant. It forces suspended particles to bind together and clump up, leaving relatively clean water behind. If you can get flocculating agents for cheap it's a great way to remove particles. I personally would still filter the flocculated water unless it wasnt an option. Many municipal water treatment sites use flocculants as part of their treatment process.