PDA

View Full Version : Canned hot dogs

arbilad
06-23-2010, 10:17 PM
I just got an email that mredepot.com now has canned hot dogs for sale. These are hot dogs especially developed for canning. And supposedly they are firmer than vienna sausage (I hope so, because I find those disgusting).

Here's the link:

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/the-697/Yoder’s-Canned-Hot-Dogs/Detail

Noahs ARK
06-23-2010, 10:40 PM
My hubby would LOVE those! He eats those little cans of vienna sausage all the time.

I'd forgotten about MREdepot - thanks for the reminder. They have some excellent stuff!

FixItGuy
06-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Arbilad, thanks for posting about this. I will order today.
This is kind of funny, I asked Highland a few weeks ago if we could
bottle hot dogs. We have a lot of chicken and ground beef that we canned together. This would be real easy to just send for it. Although at $5.41 per can about .67 per dog? Sounds good to me. Looks like good shelf life.
Makes me remember how we would do a drive-in movie when our kids were young. (Anyone remember drive-in movies?) Highland would pop corn and drop hot hot dogs in a thermos with boiling soup. Just add buns. (the kids got in free) :thumbup: We were sure we had it made. We had very little $ but we were blessed and always happy.
Highland's family frugality spread down through our family and we have had more because of it.

signseeker
06-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Eww. Hot dogs are nas-teeee.

FixItGuy
06-24-2010, 01:01 PM
YA know my old granny use to say " If ya can't say something nice" :beatdeadhorse5:

LEVE
06-24-2010, 01:12 PM
YA know my old granny use to say " If ya can't say something nice" :beatdeadhorse5: My ol' Granny used to say: "Only the good die young." She died at 86... sometimes it doesn't pay to listen to Granny.

signseeker
06-24-2010, 01:16 PM
My granny used to say, "Growing old sucks."

LEVE
06-24-2010, 01:29 PM
My granny used to say, "Growing old sucks." On that, she was right.

Noahs ARK
06-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Makes me remember how we would do a drive-in movie when our kids were young. (Anyone remember drive-in movies?) Highland would pop corn and drop hot hot dogs in a thermos with boiling soup. Just add buns. (the kids got in free) :thumbup: We were sure we had it made. We had very little $ but we were blessed and always happy.

We did the same thing growing up - Mom always made her own popcorn, we took hot dogs wrapped in foil and a thermos of kool-aid.

Hadn't been to a drive-in movie in years and then we moved to this little town and guess what? We have a drive-in!! It even has 4 screens!!

signseeker
06-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Drive-in movies are awesome. :thumbup:

But seriously, if you keep talking about hotdogs, I'm going to barf. And you know how disrespectful it is to make someone barf. Like infraction disrespectful. Just sayin'.

LEVE
06-24-2010, 05:28 PM
But seriously, if you keep talking about hotdogs, I'm going to barf.Hot dogs taste great! One of my fondest memories was as a 5 year old, sitting on the steps to the Statue of Liberty and eating a hot dog and drinking a 7-Up. Heck, they're even better than flank-steak! Ya gotta love hot dogs, the all American treat!

signseeker
06-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Get real. You don't even know what's in them. It's like, "Hey, we love the healthcare bill! Who cares what's in it!" Hot dogs might even be that bad.

phylm
06-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Drive-in movies are awesome. :thumbup:

But seriously, if you keep talking about hotdogs, I'm going to barf. And you know how disrespectful it is to make someone barf. Like infraction disrespectful. Just sayin'.

Disrespectfully disagree! :001_tongue:

Been freezing Bar-S hotdogs for several months, planning to dehydrate them, sliced. Think now I'll can them. Love frying up hotdog slices with potato and sweet onion slices in butter. Yum!!

signseeker
06-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Holy gag, phylm! Are you trying to kill me? :svengo:

ghostcat
06-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Holy gag, phylm! Are you trying to kill me? :svengo:
If we had known about your aversion (read unreasoning fear) to hotdogs, we would have started teasing you about it months ago!!!!!:001_tt2:

Noahs ARK
06-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Love frying up hotdog slices with potato and sweet onion slices in butter. Yum!!

We love sliced hot dogs in our scrambled eggs and then rolled up in a warm flour tortilla.

arbilad
06-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Poor Sign...

sarge712
06-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Hotdogs? BLLLECCCCHHH! CANNED hotdogs? BLLLECCCCHHH x Infinity!!!

I am with you on that, Sign

One of my mission companions worked in a meat processing plant in Idaho and he wouldn't eat balony, hotdogs and the like. He said if people only knew what was in processed meats and how they are made, no one would get within smelling distance of that stuff.

Noahs ARK
06-25-2010, 04:13 PM
One of my mission companions worked in a meat processing plant in Idaho and he wouldn't eat balony, hotdogs and the like. He said if people only knew what was in processed meats and how they are made, no one would get within smelling distance of that stuff.

One of my friends worked for a chocolate company - I won't say which company.

Every morning he found dead rats floating in the vats of chocolate. They never were able to get ALL of them out before processing the chocolate.

Kinda put me off chocolate for about 1 hour. :crying:

signseeker
06-25-2010, 05:37 PM
I want my fetching real avatar back.

mirkwood
06-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Like infraction disrespectful. Just sayin'.

You want another one? :boxing_smiley:

mirkwood
06-25-2010, 05:54 PM
There is nothing wrong with hot dogs. You clearly have poor taste. :incazzato:

signseeker
06-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Better poor taste than NO taste! :sneaky2:

And quit throwing your weight around and gimme my avatar back. Bully.

arbilad
06-25-2010, 07:37 PM
What weight? He's just a small kitten. With a glowing eye.

phylm
06-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Hotdogs? BLLLECCCCHHH! CANNED hotdogs? BLLLECCCCHHH x Infinity!!!

I am with you on that, Sign

If people knew how much of their food is produced, they'd have to either become less squeamish, or they'd starve to death.

phylm
06-25-2010, 08:26 PM
One of my friends worked for a chocolate company - I won't say which company.

Every morning he found dead rats floating in the vats of chocolate. They never were able to get ALL of them out before processing the chocolate.

Kinda put me off chocolate for about 1 hour. :crying:

LOL!!!! :001_tt2:

faif2d
06-25-2010, 09:22 PM
I used to work for a co. that made bakery equipment. The first time I was in a plant I was off bread for about 1 month. I then realized that I had always liked bread when I had not seen the process and it didn't kill me so I started eating it again. After a number of further trips I realised that there was nothing wrong with the way it was made it just did not look like I had imagined. The cake and cookie plants were the best. All of that sugar smell and grabbing a hot roll right off the conveyor belt. AHHH.

mirkwood
06-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Better poor taste than NO taste! :sneaky2:

And quit throwing your weight around and gimme my avatar back. Bully.

Oh very well...

http://namibsands.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/funny-pictures-cat-hungry-for-horse.jpg

I fixed your profile picture too.

http://listsoplenty.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Strange-horse.jpg

threepercent
06-26-2010, 08:04 AM
me, I like to just boil hot dogs, then make Popsicles out of the water.

hiccups
06-26-2010, 09:16 AM
me, I like to just boil hot dogs, then make Popsicles out of the water.
If that wasn't a joke I might be joining Sign on the puke parade. :001_07:

hiccups
06-26-2010, 09:19 AM
I fixed your profile picture too.

http://listsoplenty.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Strange-horse.jpg
*shudder* Now that's just awful. :d0 (22):

signseeker
06-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Fools mock... but they shall mourn...

arbilad
06-26-2010, 02:46 PM
If that wasn't a joke I might be joining Sign on the puke parade. :001_07:

There is a Ukrainian dish called kholodets. It is made by boiling meat in water for a long time until the water congeals. It is sort of like meat jello.
Another Ukrainian delicacy is called Salo. It is basically raw pig fat. It is eaten salted, usually.
There are many things grosser than a hot dog. Also, I prefer kosher hot dogs. Obviously not for religious requirements, but the ingredients tend to be higher quality.

mirkwood
06-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Fools mock... but they shall mourn...

Oh want a mockingbird instead?

http://birdstx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/mocking-bird-35-600x450.jpg (http://birdstx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/mocking-bird-35.jpg)

phylm
06-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Oh want a mockingbird instead?

http://birdstx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/mocking-bird-35-600x450.jpg (http://birdstx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/mocking-bird-35.jpg)

Yeah, you're welcome to all of ours...even the one I got to wolf whistle! They are the only birds, of the myriad ones we feed, that eat our berries--strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, et al.

signseeker
06-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Can ya' blame 'em??? Yum!!! Didn't the Old Testament people get in trouble for putting nets over their fruit to keep the birds from eating?