PDA

View Full Version : What's your July prep goal?..

Noahs ARK
06-29-2010, 10:09 PM
July will be another month of collecting water and other liquids I need. I made lots of progress in June, but have a long way to go before I feel comfortable.

#1 priority - Rain Barrels

Vinegar
Oil
Cases of Gatorade & water
Bleach

signseeker
06-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Ummm....... I need to think and get back to ya'. :thumbsup:

Finish the BOM. That's one.

prairiemom
06-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Drying herbs just about everyday, making a big batch of nettle tincture. I plan to make some comfrey and calendula salves as well. And finish mulching the garden. Aug and Sept are our busy FS months--preserving food and buying beans and wheat.

prairiemom
06-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Drying herbs just about everyday, making a big batch of nettle tincture. I plan to make some comfrey and calendula salves as well. And finish mulching the garden. Aug and Sept are our busy FS months--preserving food and buying beans and wheat.

OK, how do I delete a duplicate post?

phylm
06-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Finding a couple more inexpensive oil lamps (WalMart doesn't carry them anymore,) filling the two new kerosene plastic "cans" I just bought, and ordering the hand clothes wringer from Lehman's.

mirkwood
06-30-2010, 06:26 PM
To fulfill those June goals that I didn't get around to.

mirkwood
06-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Finding a couple more inexpensive oil lamps (WalMart doesn't carry them anymore,) filling the two new kerosene plastic "cans" I just bought, and ordering the hand clothes wringer from Lehman's.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps_Lights___Oil_Lamps___Table_Lamps?Args=&view_all=&sort_by=

Did you see the cheap lamps here? Or did you give us that link? I can't remember.

sarge712
06-30-2010, 10:35 PM
More ammo, more water, maybe some water barrels, ...maybe a Stoeger coach gun for the foyer.

KF7EEC
07-01-2010, 01:18 AM
get my new garage organized so I fill up my water barrel holders.

phylm
07-01-2010, 07:59 PM
http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps_Lights___Oil_Lamps___Table_Lamps?Args=&view_all=&sort_by=

Did you see the cheap lamps here? Or did you give us that link? I can't remember.

I think those were only 8 inches tall. I've bought the regular size table lamps before at WalMart, but they don't seem to be carrying them anymore. I'm sure I still have several in storage in Vermont, so maybe I'll be able to salvage them in August. (We're plan on taking the truck.)

Thanks, anyway, Mirk.

mirkwood
07-01-2010, 10:23 PM
I think those were only 8 inches tall.

Is 8" a bad thing for table oil lamps?

hiccups
07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Is 8" a bad thing for table oil lamps?
Bit sensitive about size lately, o short pointy-eared one?

mirkwood
07-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Cthulhu monkey will I send to visit you.

signseeker
07-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Matters not size. Heh.

DMGNUT
07-03-2010, 11:08 AM
get my new garage organized so I fill up my water barrel holders.

I'd like to see a pic or 2 of these water barrel holders.

hiccups
07-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Get my year's supply of graham crackers. Check.

(Yay, I've accomplished something.)

Need to invest in some more #10's of powder milk also.

KF7EEC
07-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I'd like to see a pic or 2 of these water barrel holders.

ask, and ye shall receive.

Please don't judge me based on my messy garage... we just moved in...

Noahs ARK
07-03-2010, 01:21 PM
ask, and ye shall receive.

Please don't judge me based on my messy garage... we just moved in...

I love it! I don't have a garage, but if I did - that's the way I'd set up my barrels.

signseeker
07-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Dude. Your garage is soooo messy. I mean, how can I ever take you seriously again? If I ever did...

KF7EEC
07-03-2010, 04:24 PM
actually, you were the only one I wasn't worried about. :l0 (63):

Noahs ARK
07-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm trying to find rain barrels that can stay outside during the winter without splitting in the cold.

Here's one I'm interested in because it's wood, so I know it can hold up during the cold, BUT the inside has a heavy duty PVC soft bladder. Anyone know if that would hold up or would I have to empty it in the Fall? http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Outdoor/50-100-Gallon-Rain-Barrels/ECO-Square-Rain-Barrel-70-gallons (This link has some great barrels - check out the underground containers!)

I'm not convinced that some of those plastic water barrels can handle the cold, even if I leave headspace for expansion.

ghostcat
07-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm not convinced that some of those plastic water barrels can handle the cold, even if I leave headspace for expansion.
We've had some 15 to 20 barrels, of the type in KF7EEC's picture, for several years, some are as old as 25 yrs. They are stored outside year round, and we have had nary a split! Considering I live in Utah valley at an elevation above 4600 feet, if freezing water was going to split them it would have as they have frozen solid on more than one occasion.

mirkwood
07-04-2010, 11:21 PM
actually, you were the only one I wasn't worried about. :l0 (63):

:lol (2): :thumbup1:

signseeker
07-05-2010, 12:00 PM
That's cuz I'm so non-judgmental and I look beyond the outside appearance. I'll take that as a compliment. :reddevil:

Noahs ARK
07-05-2010, 03:10 PM
We've had some 15 to 20 barrels, of the type in KF7EEC's picture, for several years, some are as old as 25 yrs. They are stored outside year round, and we have had nary a split! Considering I live in Utah valley at an elevation above 4600 feet, if freezing water was going to split them it would have as they have frozen solid on more than one occasion.

Thanks - that's what I was hoping somebody would say, cuz this rain barrel business is wearing me out. :shocked:

We had some barrels in Illinois that bulged, but I think we didn't leave enough headspace.

DMGNUT
07-05-2010, 05:44 PM
The first sentence pretty much sums up the necessary info... water increases in volume by a consistent 10% when it freezes. Only allow your barrels to be 90% full, and generally speaking, all will be well.
The rest of the info in this short blurb is pretty interesting as well.

Jim Stringer

Physiology, Palo Alto Medical Clinic, California

One of water's most remarkable properties is that it expands when it freezes to a volume that is always 10% greater than in the liquid state. In other words, 10 cups of water put into the freezer is going to turn into 11 cups of ice when it freezes. This expansion takes place with tremendous force, as anyone knows who has left a full container of water with a tight lid in the freezer. The force is enough to burst the strongest water pipes if the water in them freezes, which is why people in cold climates sometimes leave a little water trickling through the pipes on freezing nights. It is not possible to make a usable pipe strong enough to withstand this force. Freezing water can burst a cast iron pipe over a foot thick. Water expands when it freezes because the molecules of water are actually closer together in the liquid state than they are in ice. Water molecules are polar, which means that they have positive and negative ends like little magnets. When water freezes, the molecules are held together in a rigid crystal pattern called a lattice, lined up with opposite charges next to each other. When the ice melts, the water molecules can tumble over each other and briefly get a little closer than they are in the solid crystal. This expansion is a very important phenomenon in the natural world. The force of freezing water is enough to crack open rocks and speed up the erosion of mountains. If water did not expand, then it would be denser when it froze, and would sink and soon cover the bottom of a lake or ocean. The oceans would fill with frozen water, and life as we know it in the oceans and on land would not be possible.

KF7EEC
07-06-2010, 12:41 AM
... water increases in volume by a consistent 10% when it freezes. Only allow your barrels to be 90% full, and generally speaking, all will be well...

always good to remember. Thanks!

KF7EEC
07-06-2010, 12:42 AM
That's cuz I'm so non-judgmental and I look beyond the outside appearance. I'll take that as a compliment. :reddevil:

said the person who judged.

signseeker
07-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Do you have a shred of a sense of humor? Is this an alternate id for Cowboy? :blink:

thermocouple
07-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Love is in the air.....la da deee dedee da....doo da deee dee daaa

thermocouple
07-06-2010, 01:45 PM
My July prep goal is food. It dipped while I was in training, we've managed to hold steady on it since I got back. Now it's time to get it back to where it was, or better.

ghostcat
07-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Mine is financial recovery. We hit a rock (literally) that set us back this month. (Repairing a punctured oil pan to get out of the mountains and then replacing it when you get home can be a bit pricey!):001_07:

KF7EEC
07-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Do you have a shred of a sense of humor?

yes, but I was waiting to hear something funny... :)

signseeker
07-07-2010, 09:55 AM
yes, but I was waiting to hear something funny... :)

You might be waiting all day, then. :o11:

La deeda deeedaaaa...

KF7EEC
07-07-2010, 11:19 AM
You might be waiting all day, then. :o11:

La deeda deeedaaaa...

I'll just head over to the Humor forum.

Noahs ARK
07-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Just ordered 2 rain barrels from Gardener's Supply. They have a linking system.

Also ordered the downspout diverter.

I'll see how I like these rain barrels and how well they work before I order more. Looks like water storage is going to be my monthly prep goal for the rest of the summer. :001_tongue:

mirkwood
07-07-2010, 03:20 PM
My plan is to antagonize signseeker with more talk of horse BBQ.

signseeker
07-07-2010, 05:08 PM
It's all fun and games 'till the cats start disappearing...

Equanimity
07-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Yumm cat burgers.......

mirkwood
07-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Cats you will not hurt. Protect them Yoda will.

DMGNUT
07-08-2010, 02:19 AM
Cats you will not hurt. Protect them Yoda will, with his Glock he will.

I fixed it for you Mirk... :idea:

Noahs ARK
07-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Yippee - my 2 rain barrels arrived today. They're HUGE! The downspout diverter should be here tomorrow.

So now I just need to decide where to put them, get 'em hooked up to the downspout and then it can rain, rain, rain. :l0 (43): They each hold 75 gallons.

Yesterday I hit the Dollar Store and got my 1-year supply of paper plates and napkins - even tho it wasn't part of my July goal. But they were on sale, so whatcha gonna do?

They also had Ice Pops on sale - 100 in a box for $2. I bought 4 boxes cuz they'll last a long time and will rotate them thru the freezer for us to enjoy during this hot summer we're having.

GAMom
07-21-2010, 07:11 AM
I'm taking inventory (again!) and will update my food stuffs this month and next! Gotta get this one done! I feel it is crucial!

Gingersnap
07-23-2010, 04:51 PM
This month I wanted to add seeds for sprouting and a sprouter. I found Walton Feed, but thought it was a bit expensive and even more costly to ship. Any ideas out there about where to find radish, alfalfa, pea seeds, etc. for sprouting? I will be driving through Utah the end of August and have a truck, so if anyone knows of something local I would really appreciate your tips and any additional thoughts on sprouting.

signseeker
07-23-2010, 06:46 PM
I just got an email about sprouting seeds on clearance... this might be a good deal. Don't know how much you're actually getting, though...

http://www.tmseeds.com/product/Sprout_Seed_Grab_Bag/Sprouting_Seeds

4evermama
07-23-2010, 11:51 PM
I just buy bulk 25lb bags from Azure Standard and Bob's Red Mill. These are local for me but they do ship. Mung, Adzuki, Pea, Soy, Triticale, Spelt, Millet...between the two, you can find most anything.

I know that most folks are finicky about seeds but I've had pretty good luck from these sources and bulk is A LOT cheaper. Initially, I was concerned about using bulk seeds not specific for sprouting... but a dietician friend reassured me that so long as the grains and legumes are grown for consumption, I'd be fine. I do try to buy organic for what I know I'll use for sprouts.

Anyhoo...

As far as July preps?
Still organizing (hubby put up new shelves for food storage) and canning.
Put in a bulk order for pears (will come at the end of Aug.)
Another bulk order for pectin...for Christmas Jam.

And (Gulp!!!!), we are making the leap into homeschooling.
I haven't posted much lately as I've been consumed with planning and re-organizing the house.

(Someone please, tell me that I'm not insane to think this is going to work.
I am in a VERY pro-public ed. area and I'm getting a lot of guarded and patronizing responses. :shocked:)

And oh yeah, hit the jackpot at DI. Brand spanking new Hanna Andersson dresses for the munchkins...4 bucks each, baby.
And no, I didn't bump in to Sign...then again, how would I know?

Is there such a thing as "Back to Home School" shopping when it comes to clothes??????

4evermama
07-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Hold on...
would finally getting an Avatar constitute as a prep goal?

signseeker
07-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Oh, my gosh! I've had the worst luck with finding any dresses at DI for my 7yo lately. I must be coming in right after you... :frusty:

Jumping into homeschooling... WOW. You need to start a thread about that.

So you can sprout peas? I never thought of that. Maybe I'll grow some things in the garden next time with sprouting in mind. I've seen the adzuki beans in the catalogs... What else have you sprouted? I'm a real sprouting amateur... alfalfa and mung beans and maybe lentils is all I've done. But I can feel a certain excitement coming on with sprouting... :w00t:

Nothing's ready to can at my place yet. *drumming fingers*

Gingersnap
07-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Thank you Sign and 4EverMama for sprout info - will check it out asap. I have ordered from Azure Standard for several years, wanted to get seeds already canned, but our cannery has a dry pack that you can check out and process in your home - THANK YOU!

I have really been trying to get with the program on the 3 month supply - but most of what we eat is fresh and green. Sprouting is my answer to how we will get fresh food, as well as having frozen veggies, and canned items.

Happy Prepping!

DMGNUT
07-24-2010, 06:28 PM
(I am in a VERY pro-public ed. area and I'm getting a lot of guarded and patronizing responses. :shocked:)

Of course your response in return, should be tempered and you may need to consider whether you're speaking with family, friends, or just acquaintances.
However... My first reaction to you getting "patronizing" remarks was to tell them to piss off, and give them the finger. (OK, I'm just joking... kind of)
I guess I'm just not a very patient person when it comes to the ignorant masses.
For what it's worth, anyone willing to go the home schooling route has my admiration and respect.

Noahs ARK
07-25-2010, 12:23 PM
And (Gulp!!!!), we are making the leap into homeschooling.
I haven't posted much lately as I've been consumed with planning and re-organizing the house.

I am in a VERY pro-public ed. area and I'm getting a lot of guarded and patronizing responses. :shocked:)

You're a brave woman to consider homeschooling. :yesnod:

For those that don't agree with you and give you 'guarded and patronizing responses'....tell 'em to mind their own beeswax.

BackBlast
07-25-2010, 03:11 PM

I haven't found any area with a large amount of people that aren't pro-public ed. Doesn't matter the logic you have to back yourself up or the mile wide holes that are so easy to point out in the system.

You just have to ignore them, I'd keep the whole idea low profile myself. Even with people who know, I wouldn't broach the subject, I wouldn't press, ask, compare, etc. I would refine the art of changing the subject.

ghostcat
07-26-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm pro choice when it comes to education! I applaud anyone who goes the home schooling route as it is not the easy way. I have known several young people who have been home schooled and their parents did an outstanding job.

My oldest was partially home schooled. On my youngest we decided to let her do all of her schooling through the local public school as all of them that she has and will attend seem to be outstanding, most of the teachers that she has appear to share our values. We do monitor what she is taught very closely and I actively supplement her education in most subjects. so we are fairly comfortable with the situation as it stands.

As for anyone who tries to discourage you from schooling at home, tell them to take a long trip off of a short pier!!!

HopefortheBest
07-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Yippee - my 2 rain barrels arrived today. They're HUGE! The downspout diverter should be here tomorrow.

So now I just need to decide where to put them, get 'em hooked up to the downspout and then it can rain, rain, rain. :l0 (43): They each hold 75 gallons.

Yesterday I hit the Dollar Store and got my 1-year supply of paper plates and napkins - even tho it wasn't part of my July goal. But they were on sale, so whatcha gonna do?

They also had Ice Pops on sale - 100 in a box for $2. I bought 4 boxes cuz they'll last a long time and will rotate them thru the freezer for us to enjoy during this hot summer we're having.

Hey! When it comes to paper plates, you can never be too prepared. LOL.
Gosh, I wish I were as emergency prepared as you guys. I certainly have a lot of learn before venturing out and grabbing everything I can. . . although you guys seem very focused and have plans. I'm not entirely sure where to start in terms of packaging items. All I have are a few MREs. . . which wouldn't help much. :P

KF7EEC
07-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Gosh, I wish I were as emergency prepared as you guys. I certainly have a lot of learn before venturing out and grabbing everything I can. . . although you guys seem very focused and have plans. I'm not entirely sure where to start in terms of packaging items. All I have are a few MREs. . . which wouldn't help much. :P

We are all at different places in terms of preparedness. And everyone has to start somewhere. It doesn't matter where you are compared to where I am, as we all need to be progressing towards the commandment of preparing every needful thing.

mirkwood
07-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Yep. Any start is a good start. I'd suggest working on your 3 month supply of regular foods and some water first.

KF7EEC
07-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Yep. Any start is a good start. I'd suggest working on your 3 month supply of regular foods and some water first.

Agreed. Sure sounds prophetic... :)

I think the "All Is Safetly Gathered In" Family Home Storage pamphlet (which, BTW, has been renamed to "Prepared Every Needful Thing" is what everyone should be working on: http://www.providentliving.org/fhs/pdf/WE_FamilyResourcesGuide_International_04008_000.pd f, in the order listed.

Noahs ARK
07-27-2010, 01:59 PM

This is a great place to learn everything you could possibly need to know. I've learned so much since I joined here.

Start with your 3-month supply of "normal" foods and water, water, water. Juice, too!

Just look in your cabinets and see what you eat on a regular basis. Then start buying extra every time you go to the store. It adds up faster than you think.

prairiemom
07-31-2010, 10:23 AM
This month I wanted to add seeds for sprouting and a sprouter. I found Walton Feed, but thought it was a bit expensive and even more costly to ship. Any ideas out there about where to find radish, alfalfa, pea seeds, etc. for sprouting? I will be driving through Utah the end of August and have a truck, so if anyone knows of something local I would really appreciate your tips and any additional thoughts on sprouting.

I guess it depends on how often you sprout, but even sprouting once a week I would be hard pressed to use much more than a pound of alfalfa a year. I little goes a LONG way. I use a mix of cabbage, alfalfa and radish, about 1/2 lb each and that lasts me most of a year, maybe 9-10 mos. But your mileage may differ.

As for sprouters, after buying 3 different sprouters, I don't think they are worth the money. I've had better luck using jars and glass pie pans for my big sprouts--beans, wheat, etc. I just learned a new trick: to get the nice thick roots on mung beans (like you see in the store) they need pressure. So I put a plate on top of them and weight the plate with a water-filled glass jar.

For the tiny stuff--alfalfa, radish, etc I cut a piece of 1/2" thick foam rubber to fit snuggly in a glass 8X8" pan, soak it and sprinkle with the small seeds and cover with plastic wrap.

4evermama
07-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Wow! Thanks, Prairiemom, for the info on the mung sprouts.
I'll have to try this!

Noahs ARK
07-31-2010, 01:26 PM
I've been afraid to grow my own sprouts cuz I watched something on tv awhile back and allllllll they talked about was how you could get sick from homegrown sprouts.

Can't remember the details, but it kept me from trying it. :eek (2):

Gingersnap
08-01-2010, 12:33 AM
:yummie:
I guess it depends on how often you sprout, but even sprouting once a week I would be hard pressed to use much more than a pound of alfalfa a year. I little goes a LONG way. I use a mix of cabbage, alfalfa and radish, about 1/2 lb each and that lasts me most of a year, maybe 9-10 mos. But your mileage may differ.

As for sprouters, after buying 3 different sprouters, I don't think they are worth the money. I've had better luck using jars and glass pie pans for my big sprouts--beans, wheat, etc. I just learned a new trick: to get the nice thick roots on mung beans (like you see in the store) they need pressure. So I put a plate on top of them and weight the plate with a water-filled glass jar.

For the tiny stuff--alfalfa, radish, etc I cut a piece of 1/2" thick foam rubber to fit snuggly in a glass 8X8" pan, soak it and sprinkle with the small seeds and cover with plastic wrap.

Thank you for the information - it is so helpful. To start I was looking at the 5 lb. pkgs. which cost about $120. 1 lb. to start practising with will save me soooo much money! Do you use direct sunlight through a window? My home is in a very shady spot. Grow lights? Am I just making this complicated? Your posts have all been really helpful.

prairiemom
08-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah, my kitchen windows aren't near a counter so that I can put the seeds in direct sunlight. I put them in a bright window once they start sprouting. They just need the sunlight so that the leaves will green up nicely.

I really like this website: http://www.sproutpeople.com/ They want to sell you seeds and supplies, of course. But they have a TON of good advice and recipes. Here's one of their recipes that I've modified. It gets rave reviews from everyone who's tried it.

Sprouts in Garlic Sauce

2 C bean sprouts: adzuki, mung, garbanzo, or any combination
4 Tbs. butter
1 large onion - chopped
4-6 cloves of garlic – minced (more if you like garlic)
1 small chili pepper (serrano, jalapeno, habenero) – minced, about 1-2 Tbsp., depending on how spicy you like it (If you’re in a hurry or don’t have fresh peppers, used canned minced jalapenos)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
3 Tbs. broth
2 Tbsp peanut oil
¼ C sesame seeds

In a wok or pan heat melt the butter. Add the onion, garlic, chili pepper, and cayenne and sauté for a minute (don't let it burn). Add the sprouts and stir- sauté for another minute or two. Add the broth, Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 minutes.

Meanwhile, toast the sesame seeds in a small pan over high heat. Remove the beans from the heat. Drizzle peanut oil on top, stirring to coat. Serve over rice or noodles and sprinkle with sesame seeds. We really like it with Ramen noodles--crumble the noodles before cooking and mix noodles with beans sauce.

And then there's this one. The ingredients here sound really odd. I’ve made this for several banquets and church potlucks. The positive feedback is about 50-50. But those that like it really love it.

Curried Lentil Sprout Salad

1 cup Lentil Sprouts
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbs. ketchup
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 tsp. dill weed
1/2 smallish red onion – diced
1/2 - 1 Tbs. curry powder
salt + pepper to taste
1 tomato - diced

Mix all ingredients together. Sprinkle diced tomato on top and serve.