PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing for homeschooling this year?

Julie
07-25-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm always looking for new ideas for my homeschool. Anyone have some fun things they are doing?
This is my years plan so far- I use Abeka books and make unit studies out of them. I am using year 8 in history and science.
US History with a week on church history (using the Trail of Hope book)
Astronomy
Birds and birdwatching
Electricity - how to wire etc..
The Spiritual Lives of Great Composers - study their lives and listen to their music
Art appreciation - Study the symbols etc... in paintings of the founding fathers and early American history
Typing skills
Microsoft skills - word, power point etc..
How to use photoshop
I'm always open for change for some fun things

Noahs ARK
07-25-2010, 08:43 PM
I have no suggestions, I just want to say how much I admire parents that are able to homeschool their children. What a challenge it must be!

Julie
07-25-2010, 08:59 PM
My kids love to learn so it has not been a challenge. Of course they have not been in the public schools to learn that school is boring.
It has been the most sacred and funnest thing I have ever done and my children love me dearly for taking the time and making them first in my life.

Cassiopeia
07-26-2010, 05:15 AM
My oldest are finally at an age that last year we started reading and discussing the Richard Maybury books! Good stuff!

I also bought a typing program and insist they all learn to type. Which reminds me about cursive....since that seems to be going the way of the dinosaur due to computers...my rule is that they have to learn it well enough to read it and sign their name. The rest is optional.

Also, I think this year I will utilize the church booklets...(I'm brain dead what are those called? they get the first one in primary when they turn 8...) One of my sons is having a birthday soon and to finish up his book he had to write a half page paper on the Sacrament. I read it and talked to him about what I felt were some gaps. Then he revised his paper. I can still see some gaps in his understanding, but I think it is a maturity thing. The point is that writing it down helped me see what he understood even more than if he had done a FHE lesson on it. So I think there will be some more of that in the future....two birds with one stone...writing skills and religious comprehension!

Cass

sunsinger
07-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Learning to write cursive help neurocognitive development. It also enhances fine motor skills. If done properly it will help to integrate the hemispheres. Besides anything that is being taken over by technology is likely to become an important skill again.

This makes me think of when Glen Kimber was suggesting there wasn't a need for focus on math skills because computers were taking over so much of that effort. I just about went through the roof! I gave him a long explanation of the importance of math and its contribution to the development of cognitive abilities, etc., that evening. Interestingly, he had a revelation that very night and was talking a different tune the next day. Never mentioned our discussion though. He seemed to come to it all by himself. (ha!) Maybe I should have allowed him to be an idiot a little longer--but what he was doing would effect the lives of children...

My oldest are finally at an age that last year we started reading and discussing the Richard Maybury books! Good stuff!

I also bought a typing program and insist they all learn to type. Which reminds me about cursive....since that seems to be going the way of the dinosaur due to computers...my rule is that they have to learn it well enough to read it and sign their name. The rest is optional.

Also, I think this year I will utilize the church booklets...(I'm brain dead what are those called? they get the first one in primary when they turn 8...) One of my sons is having a birthday soon and to finish up his book he had to write a half page paper on the Sacrament. I read it and talked to him about what I felt were some gaps. Then he revised his paper. I can still see some gaps in his understanding, but I think it is a maturity thing. The point is that writing it down helped me see what he understood even more than if he had done a FHE lesson on it. So I think there will be some more of that in the future....two birds with one stone...writing skills and religious comprehension!

Cass

GAMom
07-26-2010, 02:13 PM
We've been using the Liahona Distance Learning program (out of Utah) for the past 2 years during 7th & 8th grade. We are continuing it this year in the 9th grade and will use it for the remaining high school years. They offer History, English & Science with and LDS perspective. They are also going to be adding some other classes as well. We do our math through a homeschool support group in the area as well as drama classes. Private violin, guitar & art lessons along with a homeschool bowling league & the YMCA round out our program - at least this year. Each year is a bit different, but the Liahona classes and the math support will remain the same from year to year.

LarnaE
07-26-2010, 03:26 PM
I don't want to think about school yet. It doesn't seem like I've had a summer vacation yet. My children have been learning all kinds of good things over the summer on their own. I might just let them keep doing that for a while. I don't think all officially start school until mid September.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

4evermama
07-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Books arrived today. Our state has certain requirements to fulfill if our kids ever re-enter "the system". Not planning on it but I won't burn any bridges that would require them to repeat a year.

So, we are using Glencoe texts for Algebra and Calculus, Literature and Grammar. (Our oldest was set to study the Bible in her Honors English class with it being referred to as quintessential "historical fiction". No lie. I think I've got that covered with seminary, thank you.)

Social Studies will have Abeka supplements to their texts as both teens are studying American history. (Social Studies was actually the weight that pushed us to homeschool. One will study Early Am. Hist. and the other will study Modern Am. Hist. Neither child would have had a teacher fit to instruct as one is an avowed Marxist and the other a "progressive socialtist" with marxist leanings. After last year's pledge of allegiance to B.H.O.:mad5:.....enough said.) Both kids are strong readers so we'll offer incentives for extra curricular reads of "The Real George Washington", "A Patriot's History" etc.

Both teens will spend more time at the range with dad. Both will work on cooking skills using basic foods and fuel.

Daughter is joining an embroidery club.
Both will continue with music and sport leagues.

I think I'm ready for recess.;)

prairiemom
07-28-2010, 10:06 PM
We do a 4-yr rotation, framed around history, literature based. Year 1: ancient history, beginning with the Creation through Greece Year 2: Rome and the middle Ages Year 3: the Reformation and Renaissance and Year 4: 1600 to the present. I use All Through the Ages from Nothing New Press as my literature guide and borrow heavily from Timelinesetc.com (LDS) For math we do Saxon and for science, it varies--mostly Apologia Science.

We also use Scout and Cub Scout merit badges/requirements for science and health.

Cassiopeia
07-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Learning to write cursive help neurocognitive development. It also enhances fine motor skills. If done properly it will help to integrate the hemispheres. Besides anything that is being taken over by technology is likely to become an important skill again.

There are other also other skills that develop neurocognitive abilities...math (as you mentioned), chess, languages. My children learn cursive well enough to be able to read it, and write it if they chose to. . It doesn't take very long...my daughter likes cursive and has chosen to continue with it, but she got the basics down inside of a week. The boys so far have chosen not to use it .

We go to a co-op where the kids also learn Shakespeare, debate, mock trial, science, language and art... They all play chess. I am not worried about their neurocognitive development. :l0 (25):

We agree with you about math...and love Saxon!!!

Cass

sunsinger
07-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Some day I'll write about meeting Col. Saxon!

Julie
07-29-2010, 07:14 AM
It sounds like you all are going to have a good year. I teach in the later years for the college entrance exam. If they do well with their grammar and math they can skip a lot of classes and that saves us a lot of money. When I first started homeschooling (my oldest was going into 2nd grade) I used Abeka. I had gone to a homeschool conference and a seasoned homeschool student mentioned that starting off with a boxed curriculum helps with the stress of just beginning. I choose Abeka and was very pleased with it. I then did several years of Konos because the spirit told me in the temple that that was what my son needed. I have done several different types of programs but my youngest insists on Abeka right now. I love their history and science books. They are broken up into unit studies which I prefer to do. Last year we went through the history of the world discussing the influence of religion in world history (Abeka grade 7 history). It was really eye opening. I think what I like about Abeka history is it emphasis on the individual child. My children have been taught about George Washington and how he wanted to be a seaman but his Uncle said no and so he went into surveying. The Abeka book pointed out that sometimes we will have disappointments in our lives too and that it was God telling George no and that he had another work for him to do and that George's surveying skills helped him when he became General. It emphasized that God loves everyone of us and that sometimes he tells us no and it is for our own good and that he has a plan for each of us just like he did for George Washington. This type of attitude are throughout all their books.
I am probably one of the few that do not like Saxon math. It moves too slow and my kids hated it. They prefer the Abeka math books. They are harder and move them along faster but this has helped them score well on the math part of the entrance exams.
We have been using Rosetta Stone for language. My girls prefer Japanese so they are doing that.
I am using "Teaching Your Daughters to be Keepers at Home" for home Ec. They learn how to sew, cook, do needlework, garden, take care of fruit trees, decorate, budget, and do hospice work. My two older daughters are piecing some beautiful quilts right now.

4evermama
07-29-2010, 04:47 PM
1-I chose Abeka and was very pleased with it. I then did several years of Konos because the spirit told me in the temple that that was what my son needed.

2-I think what I like about Abeka history is it emphasis on the individual child. It emphasized that God loves everyone of us and that sometimes he tells us no and it is for our own good and that he has a plan for each of us just like he did for George Washington. This type of attitude are throughout all their books.

3-We have been using Rosetta Stone for language. My girls prefer Japanese so they are doing that.

4-I am using "Teaching Your Daughters to be Keepers at Home" for home Ec. They learn how to sew, cook, do needlework, garden, take care of fruit trees, decorate, budget, and do hospice work. My two older daughters are piecing some beautiful quilts right now.

1-Our kids were in private Christian school for K-2nd and we loved Abeka. I need to look more into Konos.

2-That is exactly why we are using it to supplement Social Studies and Science.

3-Both teens are 2nd and 3rd year Japanese. Is Rosetta worth the money? My husband wants to do it but we don't know anyone that has used it.

4-This is on my list to get. All of the skills you mentioned are written on our list of objectives.

This is a huge step for us. I hope that the Spirit will be with us. It would be a lie to say that I am not intimidated at the prospect of seriously screwing up.

Everyone's input is appreciated beyond words. You guys are great.

LoudmouthMormon
07-30-2010, 10:20 AM
We're big on trying different homeschooling groups. The secular group 4 years ago made my wife want to vomit, so we switched to the Nazarene co-op, and did that for a year and a half. Then we tried the co-op held at the local mega-church, and have been doing that ever since. We're going to try two groups starting in September: The mega-church people, and also the homeschool outreach program offered by a school district nearby. 1 day/wk for each. We'll see how it goes.

Toni
08-03-2010, 11:37 AM
I haven't got a specific plan yet. My two children are high school age (the oldest graduated over a year ago) and are signed up for activity classes at the local community college. My daughter is responsible for her own schooling but my son will be a challenge. I would like to find someone for him to apprentice to; someone who knows how to fix cars, who can and will teach him how to do it. He'll get a variety of subjects covered that way.

Most of our stuff is in storage, including our books. That makes things a bit more challenging.

LarnaE
08-04-2010, 02:56 PM
This year we are taking classes from Hi-tech-high and Harmony Education services via Liberty Academy.

http://harmonyed.com/home/index.html (http://harmonyed.com/home/index.html)

http://sites.google.com/a/hi-techhigh.com/hi-tech-high/fall-2010 (http://sites.google.com/a/hi-techhigh.com/hi-tech-high/fall-2010)

Larna

Toni
08-04-2010, 10:52 PM
I was surprised today. I went in to register my two kids for home school and they wouldn't take the registration for the 16 year old. According to the state law, she can drop out at age 16. If she goes to a public school, she'd have to be registered for that, though.

Looking Forward
10-28-2010, 11:03 AM
This year we are taking classes from Hi-tech-high and Harmony Education services via Liberty Academy.

http://harmonyed.com/home/index.html (http://harmonyed.com/home/index.html)THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!:worshippy: After being on the waiting list for about a month, my daughter finally was accepted into harmony via Merit Academy. She is LOVING her CAD class from Hi-tech-high (I keep thinking of the superhero movie mile high when I say hi tech high:blush2:). She is also taking Art and sculpting and loves the teacher already (he has a sense of humor), and Math & Science through the teacher/mentor/textbook check out. We almost put her in ps this year, high school (9th) but I was told 3 different times by the Spirit NOT to put her in. She has prayed about what to do for her education, and harmonyed has become a wonderful fit in her plans. My only problem is I don't think her mentors will be of much help this year. But we will do without, and CAD and the Art class is really benefiting her.

So thank you again for suggesting it!!!:l0 (2):

Fabrizio
03-20-2012, 05:12 AM
This year we are getting in a Chinese Mandarin teacher to teach our four home schooled kids (ages 4, 7, 9 & 11) Chinese.

Other thing we are doing is equipping them with iPads & enrolled in the Apple 12 month coaching program. This way they will improve their computer skills.

Time4learning & athletics are two web based systems we use, backed up by Singapore maths and weekly visits to the local library.

We have done a few trips and plan some more homeschool trips too. Last one was to see Crufts Dog show where we met a dog that can read.

We are also showing our kids health seminars on dvd with Markus Rothkranz & David Wolfe.

Dolcezza
03-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Apple 12 month coaching program???? Fabrizio, tell us about it! We are avid Apple users.
Thanks!
Dolcezza

jackmormon
03-21-2012, 09:49 AM
My kids love to learn so it has not been a challenge. Of course they have not been in the public schools to learn that school is boring.
It has been the most sacred and funnest thing I have ever done and my children love me dearly for taking the time and making them first in my life.

Just wondering what you do to fill the huge social gap in their lives?

Julie
03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
What huge social gap?

Toni
03-21-2012, 04:03 PM
What huge social gap?

That's what I was going to say.

Unless one lives in the top of the Himalayas or the most remote, unpeopled jungle, how can there be an absence of people in their lives? What is missing is the indoctrination (which my kids picked up too much of during the times they did go to public school, especially my youngest who has chosen to continue going to ps even though he hates it).

GAMom
03-21-2012, 07:04 PM
I asked my DD about how she feels about her socialization. Here is her replys.
"I don't think the fact that I'm homeschooled makes me unsocial. If anything it makes me be MORE social. It pushes me to go out there for myself and find people to be around and be friends with. I don't have a lot of TRUE friends. It's not like I don't try to be freinds with everyone and I treat everyone as my friend but I only really have a couple. But because I only have a couple it makes me really appreciate them. I don't see them much cause they live far away but when I do I cherrish the time I have with them. I would rather have only a few really good friends than a bunch of fair weather friends. Not constantly being around people, or other kids for that matter, makes me try harder and find better friendships because of it. And plus I don't have the junk of HS that I have to be a certain way to be with certain 'friends.' I can be myself and if people don't like it it's their loss."

Here is a funny link about homeschoolers - funny but true! Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJHt-m3VX6o&list=FLlpUpoLajN6pnDIcWXbnzkA&index=25&feature=plpp_video
Sandie

Ligure
03-22-2012, 10:46 AM
What huge social gap?

Oh are your referring to the lack of exposure to drug heads, lasciviousness, gangs, disrespect for authority (i.e. teachers), foul language, segregated friendship by grade, etc.?
I am afraid that my children will be missing out on this socializing.

Or are you referring to friends of any age, performance in the arts, sports, etc.?
My children are not missing out on this form of socializing.

In case it is not blatently obvious, I find that argument against home schooling about the weakest there is. I realize that was not your intention here, but I hear this sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much that wanted to nip it in the bud and shine the real light on it that it needs.

Ligure

incorrigible
11-09-2012, 03:30 PM
We never realized just how huge the social gap was until ds tried enrolling in the high school. We knew that kids in institutional schools had stunted emotional and social growth from being isolated for society and normal social situations so much...but we didn't realize just how badly. We don't really have many serious problems, like drugs and gangs and things, around here. The kids mean well, for the most part, but they are at their worst during school. Attending high school was like being trapped in a building with hundreds of unattended 8 - 10 yr olds on a mass sugar rush. Plus, he missed out on so much, being on lock down all day every day. He's just too friendly and social a person to live with the kind of social isolation our society inflicts on our youth.

-----
As for the original topic -

We've tried a little of just about everything over the years, but have always held to a generally unschooling philosophy. We're not radical unschoolers. We do parent our kids, and they can't just spend all day playing video games or anything. A few times, they've bent to peer pressure from society around them and asked me to institute a more formal program...or even enroll them in school. It didn't take long for them to realize they were doing a whole lot of work for very little reward. They'd rather focus on the actual learning of skills and knowledge than focus on making a show of their efforts to learn, you know?

Ds14 takes a couple classes at the local high school because there isn't any kind of parks and rec dept for him to pursue his interests, and the principal is really supportive of educational choice. He's taking math with the hard math teacher everyone hates because he enjoys the in depth discussion they get into during class, for example. He's decided he wants a diploma so he can earn his CNA and work part time at the county hospital before deciding between nursing, pediatrics, or EMT. They do a lot of co-enrollment type of programs with the high school, so they are really excited about getting their hands on him and having the opportunity to help him decide what kind of career to pursue. HR is always bugging church members that work there for updates on his progress. (it's a REALLY small town. Everyone knows everything about everyone!) The plan is to work part time until he's old enough for his mission. When he returns, he will pursue whichever path he's decided on. He is enrolled in a self paced high school program with American School and works on it whenever he doesn't have something better to do, during the day. He could have his diploma by the end of summer 2013, at the earliest. If some of the advanced coursework is more challenging for him, he may not be done until early 2014 though. He works about 6 - 7 hours per week at a local cafe, washing dishes after the lunch rush on weekdays, attends Seminary (which only happens once per week at best, here), and is involved in several project clubs through 4-H, too.

Dd11 is also working on her diploma through American School. Mainly, she just wants to be free from the legal education requirements. lol She mostly just wants raise and breed food animals, and bow hunt in her spare time. =D We're thinking that once she has the diploma, it would be nice if she took a single class online (maybe toward and Animal Science degree?) at a time, and worked part time (intern, apprenticeship, maybe?) on one of the local ranches until she has some firmer goals. She should complete the American School program around her 14th birthday, give or take. The local butcher has also told her they'd love to teach her the trade, and can hire her part time as soon as she turns 15. So, we'll see how that all plays out. She spends a lot of time writing, working on digital art projects, practicing singing, and participating in various 4-H clubs.

Both kids are also using Rosetta Stone for Spanish. They've just started the second level and I'd say they can functionally communicate when needed, in the form of really rough Spanglish. lol Starting from scratch, that's not half bad, though. They should have a firm grasp on the language by the time they finish all 5 levels.