PDA

View Full Version : WHO Declares End to 2009 H1N1 Influenza Pandemic

LoudmouthMormon
08-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Well, the WHO declares an official end (http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2010pres/08/20100810b.html) to the 2009 H1N1 Influenza Pandemic.

In the majority of countries, out-of-season 2009 H1N1 outbreaks are no longer being observed, and the intensity of 2009 H1N1 influenza virus transmission is lower than that reported during 2009 and early 2010. Members of the Emergency Committee further noted that the 2009 H1N1 viruses will likely continue to circulate for some years to come, taking on the behavior of a seasonal influenza virus.

So, my wife was vaccinated against it, our kids and I caught it, and I bought a bunch of masks because of it.

What steps did you take, and what lessons did you learn? Did you get it, or were you able to avoid it? What will you do differently when the next severe disease outbreak shows up?

LM

LarnaE
08-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Several families in my neighborhood and ward got it and there were some girls that got it at girls camp, but nobody in my family got it. We didn't get the shot. I felt bad for the familes who had it. Some of them got pretty sick.

signseeker
08-12-2010, 09:43 AM
None of us got the shot and one of us (out of 7) got it. He was the high schooler and one day they had a couple hundred (lots of different numbers were going around) kids miss school. They cancelled school one day that week because of it.

We didn't buy anything special for this "pandemic." I feel like it was largely a farce. Much hype for a strain that had a very low mortality, and generally those involved had other underlying medical issues.

If it was a much deadlier strain I would take much more precautions, including SIRQ.

JayE
08-12-2010, 09:50 AM
The title of this thread says that this was declared by WHO (the guy on first base?), but the post says it was The WHO (the band?). I'm confused.

LoudmouthMormon
08-12-2010, 10:53 AM
WHO:
Dubbya's Hospital Organization
World's Hypnotic Overlords
World Health Organization

It's at least one of those. Possibly all three, depending on how much you participate on the tinfoil hat forum.

signseeker
08-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Oh, by the way, my kid who "had it" actually came back negative on the swine flu test, but the doc said he "probably" had it anyway. :blink: So all the kids were going around saying, "I got the swine!"

Noahs ARK
08-12-2010, 02:54 PM
What steps did you take, and what lessons did you learn? Did you get it, or were you able to avoid it? What will you do differently when the next severe disease outbreak shows up?

LM

We didn't get the shots or the flu.

My husband was advised by his doctor not to go out in public unless necessary (doc/dentist appts) cuz of his health issues. I did worry he'd catch something while down at the VA for one of his appts, but he didn't. He carried Bleach Wipes in his bag and used them constantly.

If I lived alone, I probably wouldn't have taken any precautions because I'm healthy, but keeping germs away from my husband made me pretty vigilant. I used the "pandemic" as an experiment (you know how I love experiments!) for future public health issues that could be much, much worse.

I carried Bleach Wipes in the car and wiped down anything I'd handled (wallet & keys) before coming back into the house, so hopefully I could cut down on bringing germs into the house.

I limited my grocery shopping. Our Food Lion supplied Bleach Wipes, so I wiped down the cart handle and the little seat that folds out. After getting everything loaded up, I wiped down the steering wheel, door handle, etc...before I even moved out of my parking spot.

We already had masks, so I didn't buy any and we didn't feel the need to use them. I carried 2 in my hubby's bag - just in case we had a doc appt and there were sneezing/coughing patients around him.

What I learned is that an outbreak or something that would keep us housebound worries me more than a SHTF scenario. It gave me a chance to fine-tune my storage/pre items, esp as I started running out of fresh grocery items.

Water & juice were my biggest concern. Eggs. Yeast. Paper products!

I've since stocked up on my 1-year supply of freeze-dried eggs, yeast, disposable plates, napkins, cups (plastic & styro), utensils. I've been stocking water & juice for 2 months, but still have a long way to go before I feel comfortable, even with the 2 rain barrels I bought.

mirkwood
08-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Didn't get the shots or the flu. Didn't alter my prep plans too much. I just didn't believe this was "it".

KF7EEC
08-13-2010, 01:32 AM
didn't get the shots or anything. Our Ward's monthly Emergency preparedness Group order was for N95 masks. we purchased an extra box more than we were originally planning on. so, I guess I spent an extra $12.00 for 20 masks.

brghtii
08-13-2010, 04:06 PM
All my kids got it. My OB told me I was stupid NOT to get it. I didn't get it or the seasonal flu. I took care of 5 kids being pregnant (considered high risk) and came away unscathed. :) I found I like the Ocsillo stuff.

caml
08-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Our family got off scott free. I work in retail, so I knew I would probably get exposed. I developed the habit of always washing my hands when I went back to the staff room, and again when I got home. I tried to learn to never touch my face. I bought some extra water and groceries just in case we needed to stay indoors.

A woman who was off on maternity leave and lives about 2 km from my house got the first case of swine flu in a pregnant woman in Canada. They have no idea how she got exposed. She was healthy in the docs office for a regular visit one day, and was hospitalized in intensive care 2 days later. Mom and baby are both healthy now, but it was scary.

ghostcat
08-14-2010, 01:37 AM
My family and I all got the shots. The company my wife works for provided them for free so we took the offer.

arbilad
08-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Me and my family didn't get the shots. Part of the reason is because most of the deaths of the swine flu outbreak in the 70s were from the shot they gave people.