PDA

View Full Version : Ward Classes

KF7EEC
08-23-2010, 01:12 AM
I want to have a series of classes at our Ward over the 4 Principles of Family Home Storage outlines in All is Safety Gathered In: Family Home Storage (Which, by the way, has been renamed "Prepare Every Needful Thing: Family Home Storage" recently).

I was thinking:

90-Day Supply of Everyday Food - Grocery Smarts (get your 90-day supply with coupons)
Water Storage - Water Purification classes
Financial Reserve - Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University
Long Term Storage - several different ones including cooking with wheat, how to can, gardening, etc.

What do you guys think? My biggest concern with my idea is FPU as that is not free. Do you guys know of other wards holding FPU? What other classes would you recommend in keeping with the 4 Basic Principles of Family Home Storage?

signseeker
08-23-2010, 07:57 AM
I like the new name of the pamphlet much better. :thumbsup:

What's FPU? :blink:

I wish my ward would do something like this.

hiccups
08-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Financial Peace University -- it's a Dave Ramsey thing.

KF7EEC
08-23-2010, 09:31 AM

FPU = Financial Peace University.

4evermama
08-23-2010, 02:59 PM
One concern that is often overlooked, although I know it is difficult for newbies to cope with, is energy/fuel. I always get blank stares, and then "the eyes". :rolleyes (2):
Preparing food without a heat source will be rough to deal with.
Charcoal, solar ovens, wonder boxes, chimney stoves, apple box ovens, etc., would be good to, at least, bring to their attention.

Also, most people that I've worked with haven't even consider medications. It seems so basic...but true none the less.

I'm sure you'll do great. Wish I could be there. I'd love to take part in a class that I don't have to teach. That's why I like being on GLO.

KF7EEC
08-23-2010, 11:44 PM
One concern that is often overlooked, although I know it is difficult for newbies to cope with, is energy/fuel. I always get blank stares, and then "the eyes". :rolleyes (2):
Preparing food without a heat source will be rough to deal with.
Charcoal, solar ovens, wonder boxes, chimney stoves, apple box ovens, etc., would be good to, at least, bring to their attention.

Also, most people that I've worked with haven't even consider medications. It seems so basic...but true none the less.

I'm sure you'll do great. Wish I could be there. I'd love to take part in a class that I don't have to teach. That's why I like being on GLO.

I think that 1st Aid, CPR, other medicial topics (like the great one on dental first aid), fuel, etc, are great topics, but, at least for now, I want to keep it to the basics of home storage.

KF7EEC
08-24-2010, 01:14 AM
ok, here is my write up that I will present at our committee meeting this week:

The most recent teachings from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints regarding food storage and other emergency preparedness information (now referred to as “Home Storage”) is contained in the February 2007 pamphlet “All is Safely Gathered In: Family Home Storage”. In it is mapped out the four (4) basic steps of Family Home Storage and the suggested order that we undertake them. Church leaders did not rescinded the previous council to “store sufficient food, clothing, and where possible fuel for at least one year” (Letter to priesthood leaders, 24 June 1988), but rather, stated that this is the most recent council and that we should focused on this to start the process.
These basic steps are:
1. Three-Month Supply of every day food
2. Emergency Drinking Water
3. Financial Reserve (with no specific amount suggested)
4. Longer-Term Supply of food (not referred to as a “year supply”)
Church leaders did not specify how much to store in the “longer-term supply” but rather said “We encourage you to store as much as circumstances allow”. A good basis line would be to aim for a 3-month supply of everyday food and at least a 9-month supply of longer-term storage, still giving you the at least a year supply that we’ve been counseled for over 50-years.

To help the Cimarron Ward in these 4 basic steps, I propose we start holding periodic classes on these different topics.

Sample topics:
• Three-Month Supply
o Grocery Smarts (combine coupons and sales to build up your 3-month supply) – no cost

• Drinking Water
o Water purification – no cost
o Build a horizontal water barrel holder – no cost for class. About $20 for wood to build holder.

• Financial Reserve
o Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University or something similar - $119 per couple. 13 week course. Can take it as many times as you want once you pay for it.

• Longer-Term Supply of Food
o Cooking with wheat – no cost
o Cooking with beans – no cost
o Las Vegas Gardening – no cost
o Canning – no cost
o Using a wheat grinder – no cost

• Beyond the Basics
o CERT – no cost plus get a backpack full of supplies
o First Aid / CPR - $56 per person through ARC.
o Ham Radio / Emergency Communications – might be able to get it free. Otherwise, $20 per person plus $15.00 per person to take test.
o Emergency Fuel Sources – no cost

signseeker
08-24-2010, 09:55 AM
I think it's funny you have to pay to get the Financial Peace thing.