PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Accumulate Food Storage When You Are Broke?

Julie
08-23-2010, 07:19 AM
http://blog.totallyready.com/how-do-you-accumulate-food-storage-when-you-are-broke/08/19/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TotallyReady+%28Totally+Ready %29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

How Do You Accumulate Food Storage When You Are Broke?

I am leaving this post up for the weekend because I really feel this is an important question that we must answer. Times are getting tougher and there are so many who have never had to consider how to provide for their family during a tough time. We have more and more single moms and dads trying to raise good families. We have more and more grandparents raising their grandkids. We have more and more multi generational households combining resources to keep going. Even in these dire situations food storage and emergency preparations can not be ignored. Yes, there are times when we will just eat through what we have but as soon as there is a positive change we need to refocus on rebuilding.

I had another note from my new friend this morning and I have posted it in the comments section. It has been her experience that when she needed help all anyone wanted to do was give the kids toys. Even her family will only give toys as gifts. Yikes!! So that is the kind of help we can expect? Seems another good reason to prepare. Please read through the comments and add your own insights and advice. Now is the time to share what you have learned when your crisis can.

Yesterday’s post:

There was a huge jump in the unemployment rate last week with 500,000 people applying for unemployment for the first time. That is truly frightening to me. As I listened to the bad news this morning I received the following email from a woman who has just discovered this blog. I felt it was a good one to share with all of you and I hope you will add your suggestions for her. I know there are many more like her struggling to provide today and still prepare for tomorrow.

We are just coming out of a 3 year family financial emergency, have a bit of debt from car/home repairs (after the emergency fund died) and our long term storage is very depleted. I have one totally paid off credit card. I HATE debt of any kind and have been paying to down a best I can. I also seem to equally HATE not having a stash of long term food.

Should I use the paid off card to make a bulk order of emergency food & replace broken water containers to restore our stock before winter ( I checked & what I need to get is about $300 – this would not max out the card) or Should I wait & pay off all the debt first (it’ll take a year & half yet unless I get a wind fall from some where).

I get paid once a month so we get groceries once a month – I don’t have time (single Mom) to do a weekly grocery run to grab some cans to gradually build up since 3/4 of my monthly pay check goes to bills right now… so things get pretty thin a week or two before payday.

Note: She is 5 hours from a place where she can buy in bulk and there is one grocery store in town.

I would pay off your credit cards as quickly as possible. I do have a few suggestions for building a food storage while doing this.

First, I would start having breakfast meals for dinner at least once a week. I know Dave Ramsey says beans and rice but I like breakfast better. French toast, pancakes, waffles, even scrambled eggs and hash browns are very inexpensive and will free up grocery money to start adding food storage. If you follow my blog on Mondays I post things to purchase each week. This week was protein so add a jar of peanut butter or some tuna or beans. If you follow along you will build a stash. Just do as much as you can afford to do. If you shop once a month just keep track of what you should add each week and purchase a few things from each category each month.

Second, if you have older children get them involved and all of you save your change each night in a jar. Make it a practice not to spend your change. At the end of the month take that money and spend it on food storage. We have had as much as $40.00 in the jar in a month.

Third, shop the sales. Add items to your storage, here we call it a General Store, when they are on sale. If I suggest you get protein for example, this week look for a protein that is on sale. If there are none add veggie or fruit or grains that are and then in a grain week you can add the protein. Does that make sense? Everything goes on sale, usually every 12 weeks or sooner. Remember canned foods are good at least two years past the expiration date.

Fourth, do you know any Mormons in your area? There is a Mormon cannery in Omaha and they have great….prices on bulk long term storage foods like beans, rice, pasta and powdered milk (there is more). You don’t have to be a church member to buy from the cannery. You do have to go and can it into #10 cans or mylar pouches but most congregations make regular trips to the cannery. If you call a friend who is a member of if you call the church they would probably just bring back stuff for you when they go if you can’t get there. You can also just purchase a whole bag and put it in a 5 gallon bucket at home.

Fifth, Get the word out at work, with the kids teachers, your email list, or at church that you are looking for fruit and veggies that anyone in trying to get rid of. This is the time of the year people have too much in their gardens and on trees for their own use. Eat, can or freeze everything you can get.

Sixth, ask for gifts. Have the kids make a list of items they would like in food storage and you make a list also. Ask for that from family and friends for Christmas or birthdays. The kids will want popcorn and brownies but they should be included in a good food storage program. Comfort foods are a must!

I could keep going but that should give you a few ideas. Hopefully other readers will add more. You should know how much I admire what you are doing. Your family is very lucky to have someone who is so focused on caring for their needs.

OK everyone now it’s your turn!

Dolcezza
08-23-2010, 04:20 PM
We had the situation where we had to pay all the bills with about 1,000 US$ a month (£500,00), we had 2 kids, 1 oldish car, rent and a low paid job. We lived very simply and managed to put away 9 months food supply for the 3 of us in 12 months. Mathematically it was impossible to do it but H.F. blessed our efforts I guess. Tithing was always first. We didn't buy anything that wasn't absolutely essential. We walked to places or biked there. No cable tv, no high speed internet. No eating out, ever. Instead, we sprouted wheat, grew potatoes, ate fresh food. Most people don't realise that eating mostly raw fruit/veggies, people tend to have more energy, eat less, fill full up earlier, and get used to leave the table without that heavy brick on the stomach that most people get. We lived in a 2 bedroom flat with no frills and we were happy.

Now we've been blessed with more work and a bigger house of 4 bedrooms and a garden (still tiny compared to average US houses).
We still grow as much as we can, never throw away food, use, re-use, recycle everything, repair, sew, make, (a bit like those Amish guys) and we try to live like our grandparents, with little.

Also, we use Freecycle and Freecycle networks where people donate or sell for really low prices everyday items. We give a lot and sometimes we find second hand furniture that we need, for five dollars or so.

My kitchen is a bit like the jungle with the salads growing on the windowsill and sprouts on the worktops. The kids love fruit and veggies.

You won't see them holding a bag of crisps, candies or sweets; they play in the garden with plants, creepy animals and mud and they have much more fun than their neighbouring friends, who have an expensive pool, inflatable bouncy castle, trampoline and electric toys of all sorts.

In my own ward I hear some people complain that they can't afford food storage and yet every week they wear expensive make up, acrylic nails, etc ,straighten their hair with electric devices, give crisps and junk to their kids, and eat bought sandwiches daily - they don't understand that they could be much richer if they went back to basics. They live near enough to walk to church so why are they driving a SUV?

Noahs ARK
08-23-2010, 05:45 PM
We've been living on a strict budget lately.

I've reversed my grocery / food storage priorities.

The majority of our grocery money goes towards food & water storage. Whatever is left is our weekly grocery allowance. I'd rather live on sandwiches now and build up my storage than to have nothing in my storage later. Mostly I've been focusing on water & juices, canned goods with juice - fruits & veggies.

It's teaching us discipline. No McDonald's. No junk. No impulse buying. No credit cards - if I don't have the $$, I don't buy it. I go out once and hit all the stores so I'm not making multiple trips around town. I cut my hubby's hair.

Sales & coupons!!

4evermama
08-23-2010, 05:53 PM
I'd rather live on sandwiches now and build up my storage than to have nothing in my storage later.

I love this mentality.

Great post, Dolcezza. Good mama.

prairiemom
08-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Preparedness isn't about money, it's about faith. It is Satan who wants us to believe "You can buy anything with money."

Even if you really truly honestly ARE broke without a single spare cent after economizing all you can, you can still learn or perfect self-reliant skills: canning, gardening, sewing, knitting, auto repair, home repair, hunting, fishing, etc.

Charlene
08-24-2010, 05:51 AM
About 18 years ago, when I was first married and started having children, we often found ourselves unemployed. It stressed me to think that our temporal existence was so fragile. I remember having a distinct thought of "What would I do if I couldn't feed my children?" It was shortly after this that I was called to be the preparedness person for our ward.

I remember thinking, "How can I build up a store of food when I'm not even sure we are going to be able to pay the mortgage?" Often people think of food storage and preparedness as a temporal commandment. However, as I contemplated my thought of what I would do if I couldn't feed my children, the thought came: Would I steal a loaf of bread? It would be at that moment that my spirtituality would be effected.

I truly had a desire to build my stores, but did not have much in the area of money. As my desire grew and my prayers, I began to make small purchases. When I went to the grocery store, I would scramble in my car or the bottom of my purse for any spare change. That change became my extra can of soup or lightbulb. It wasn't much, but because I had a desire to do what was right, I was blessed. I was so excited as I watched our shelfgoods begin to grow. I was also discouraged at times as I watched those same shelves become empty as fast as I thought I was making progress. It was discouraging to me to watch the items have to be used so soon. However, I would try to think how grateful I was to have had them when needed. Eventually through these small means we were blessed with more. As I kept this prayer in my heart and made even small efforts, I saw those efforts blessed.

It is my testimony that if you put forth any real effort to obey the commandments, to be prepared, the Lord will help to bless those small efforts. Even today, I often scramble for that spare change to make just one more small purchase toward preparedness. It is a mindset for me and is always in my heart.

Justme
08-24-2010, 09:39 AM
I agree that if we are sincere about doing what we can we will be blessed. I look to my sister-in-law as an inspiration. When her husband balked at spending a lot of money for food storage she bought what she could with in the budget agreed on with him. It started out as one box of salt a week. He eventually changed his mind, a blessing of her determination to be obedient I think.

signseeker
08-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Hey, don't knock the inflatable bouncy castle. :sneaky2: :l0 (62):

I've also observed that if I put in a slow, steady effort the storage grows quicker than I anticipated... almost takes on a life of its own.

mirkwood
08-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Hey, don't knock the inflatable bouncy castle. :sneaky2: :l0 (62):

I've also observed that if I put in a slow, steady effort the storage grows quicker than I anticipated... almost takes on a life of its own.

Preparedness is a lifestyle.

Noahs ARK
08-24-2010, 02:41 PM

So true! When I was raising my son alone and getting no child support, I had $5 at the end of each week to spend on food. I considered myself lucky when he wouldn't eat the crusts on his sandwich or finish the last few swallows of milk.

I worked at the Univ of Utah with the medical students & residents - they were always having luncheons and somehow there was always extra, which I got to take home. I know the Lord was watching over me when he sent me to this particular job.

Somehow I managed to put away a little at a time...a can of fruit or tuna. It was pitiful, but I swear it multiplied in the dark!