PDA

View Full Version : What's your Sept. prep goal? ...

Noahs ARK
08-30-2010, 04:01 PM
I didn't get all my August prep goals completed :angry:, so I'll continue to work on those.

Berkey water filter is a must!

Water, water, water.

Start reading the scriptures.

I think that's it for me this month. How about you?

signseeker
08-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Go to the State Fair!! :w00t: Maybe enter the brownies...

September/October is my favorite time of the year.... start planning Thanksgiving...

LarnaE
08-31-2010, 09:04 AM
It seems like after the end of the summer all of the flashlights seem to vanish. I need to seach and find them all of buy new ones. I mostly do canning in september/october.

ktcottle
08-31-2010, 09:19 AM
September - December - mentally and spiritually prepared....I'm not quit where I think I need to be (so I just discovered) - progress is good

Water because I just moved and now I need to re-fill all my large containers

Organization - this is big for me as well.

signseeker
08-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Good idea, Larna! All my flashlights are "missing" too, it seems. I want to put hooks above many of the lightswitches and keep flashlights hung there. "No touchy!"

Noahs ARK
08-31-2010, 03:00 PM
It seems like after the end of the summer all of the flashlights seem to vanish. I need to seach and find them all of buy new ones. I mostly do canning in september/october.

What exactly happens to flashlights? Cuz we seem to have that problem, too.

Usually twice a year I change batteries in the smoke alarms & check the batteries in the flashlights, but it seems 1/2 of them are missing. :bored:

Noahs ARK
08-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Organization - this is big for me as well.

I hear that one! I have an order arriving from EE in the next few weeks and I have NO IDEA where the cases are going. :crazy:

LarnaE
08-31-2010, 04:19 PM
What exactly happens to flashlights? Cuz we seem to have that problem, too.

Usually twice a year I change batteries in the smoke alarms & check the batteries in the flashlights, but it seems 1/2 of them are missing. :bored:

I think they are in another demention AKA ( under my childrens beds) Or in a back pack of dirty clothes that has been sitting all summer. They might be in a lost and found up at some scout camp somewhere.

KF7EEC
08-31-2010, 05:32 PM
What exactly happens to flashlights?

Simple. Its called "Kids".

Julie
08-31-2010, 08:41 PM
I'll second the flashlight problem. I have no idea where all the flashlights go. But I do need to buy more.
Sept. goal is:
to get 5 cord of wood for wood stove.
I usually get propane for the cabin during Sept. but I was up there today and the propane guy showed up early. Yeah. Check that one off.
I have canning to do. Grate beets and freeze for borsh. Dig up potatoes.
Harmons are having their caselot sale so I'm heading there because I'm way low on canned goods. Lower than I have been for a long time.
I need to finish fence around cabin and plant fruit trees.

sarge712
08-31-2010, 08:45 PM
1) Inventory everything
2) Cut four more loads of firewood.

signseeker
08-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Julie-- whoa, nellie. What is this cabin of which you speak? :w00t:

Julie
08-31-2010, 08:59 PM
My cabin is my little hide-away at the ranch. It was sooooo peaceful there today and I have no problems getting the propane guy up there because he loves it there too. Got my solar working and my pump at the well working too.

Earthling
08-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Wow - I have a flashlight problem too! Drives me nuts.

I just ordered some LED nightlights from Amazon. You can get ones that automatically go on at night or sensor ones. I got the sensor type.
"GE 50723 LED Motion Sensing Night Light"

I also got these books:

"Medicine for the Outdoors: The Essential Guide to Emergency Medical Procedures and First Aid (Medicine for the Outdoors: The Essential Guide to First Aid &)"
Paul S. Auerbach MD MS FACEP FAWM; Paperback; $16.47

"When There Is No Doctor: Preventive and Emergency Healthcare in Uncertain Times (Process Self-reliance Series)"
Gerard S. Doyle; Paperback; $11.53

KF7EEC
08-31-2010, 11:43 PM
"When There Is No Doctor: Preventive and Emergency Healthcare in Uncertain Times (Process Self-reliance Series)"
Gerard S. Doyle; Paperback; $11.53

let me know if its the 2008 edition or the 2010 edition when it comes.

DMGNUT
09-01-2010, 12:05 AM
I don't envy those of you who need to cut firewood... but I certainly envy the position you're in, that you would even need the firewood to begin with. :biggrin (2):

phylm
09-01-2010, 01:12 AM
I didn't get all my August prep goals completed :angry:, so I'll continue to work on those.

Berkey water filter is a must!

Water, water, water.

Start reading the scriptures.

I think that's it for me this month. How about you?

Yep. Going to try to catch up on the Bible lessons I let slide when we were teaching in Primary.

SEPTEMBER GOALS:

Buy a burn barrel, and a second barrel with a cover to make charcoal in.
We have quite a pile of big oak branches, and husband plans to cut them up and store the wood. I want the smaller branches for the charcoal project.

Organize. A good time for it, as we put all our food storage in climate-controlled storage when we moved, and most everything else is still in boxes and bins. My husband has been busy building shelves and cupboards in our new digs, so things are looking up, and he is hoping to build a large insulated storage room on a new back deck for our prep supplies before he goes in for surgery on the 16th.

Order and set out 50 thornless blackberry plants. Hubby has finally decided that he's "too old" to chase heifers now, and agreed that a U-Pick blackberry patch would be a good idea. I still can't believe that we got more than 100 quarts from those 3 plants this year. With blackberries selling at $10 a quart, we should be able to sell all we have at $6 per quart U-Pick.

We went back to Vermont in the truck in August, and brought back a load of things we've had in storage for 14 years: husband's table saw, chain saw, welder, big tool boxes and more. I found my old hand clothes wringer and hugged it, so buying one at Lehman's is now off my prep list. There are a couple of galvanized tubs there, and we're hoping to be able to make another trip in October...maybe while he is recuperating, and bring back another load.

Noah's Ark: We came back to Florida by way of western PA (visited brother), and western TN (daughter and grandkids.) Thought of you when we were near Nashville on the way home.

By the way, that truck was loaded heavily, but it took the mountains in SW Pennsylvania, W. Virginia, and eastern Kentucky like it was empty. Ford 350 diesel dually. I do the driving, and it was a joy.

sarge712
09-01-2010, 08:07 AM
I don't envy those of you who need to cut firewood... but I certainly envy the position you're in, that you would even need the firewood to begin with. :biggrin (2):

I love cutting and splitting firewood. Its almost therapeutic. I have to completely focus on the chainsaw and the maul to the exclusion of everything else. Its also physically draining yet I walk away feeling refreshed, like I've really accomplished something. It's one of the best things for clearing the mind and breaking a sweat. The only hitch is the summer weather: here in highly hot and humid NC I have to do it before 11am or else.

There's few pleasures like a warm fire on a freezing night or the smell of wood smoke in frigid mountain air.

Julie
09-01-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm with ya Sarge

Noahs ARK
09-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Good idea, Larna! All my flashlights are "missing" too, it seems. I want to put hooks above many of the lightswitches and keep flashlights hung there. "No touchy!"

That's such a good idea - I asked hubby to do something like that. I'm tired of opening the cabinet where the flashlights are supposed to be and not finding them.

Noahs ARK
09-01-2010, 01:51 PM
2) Cut four more loads of firewood.

I need to move my firewood. We have it in the carport where anyone can help themselves to it. :o11:

I'll pay a couple of teenagers to move it along the back of my house, which is fenced.

signseeker
09-02-2010, 02:08 PM
We cut firewood for the cabin. There's an old cottonwood that got hit by lightning some years back... that's our supply if we were ever there full-time for some reason. DH uses an axe, not a chainsaw. I remember my dad putting up a ton a firewood with an ax... it always landed exactly where he wanted it. I'd have my saddle on a big log watching him while he worked. This was suburban Seattle. We were weird.

4evermama
09-02-2010, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't call that "weird" as far as suburban families go.
Displaced, maybe.
Longitudinally challenged, sure.
But there are a lot weirder things going on behind closed doors than some sweetie pie learning about work ethic from her Pa.

Noahs ARK
09-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I'd have my saddle on a big log watching him while he worked. This was suburban Seattle. We were weird.

Our neighbors had 4 HUGE dogs - can't remember what they were, but they were bigger than us. We pretended that THEY were horses, set up branches at different levels and "jumped" over them. :l0 (63): Can't remember how many blue medals I won competing in these horse competitions....oh yeah - NONE.

Yes, I was wearing my Dr. Ben Casey shirt and Go-Go boots while doing this.

Wanna talk weird? :l0 (45):

ktcottle
09-02-2010, 07:17 PM
That's such a good idea - I asked hubby to do something like that. I'm tired of opening the cabinet where the flashlights are supposed to be and not finding them.

I bought some of those solar LED flash lights - I love them. The battery lasts a very long time, and then you just stick them outside during the day and they charge up again. So I keep all my solar flash lights in the windows. When I need them, I just go to the window behind the blinds and there they are.

Noahs ARK
09-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I bought some of those solar LED flash lights - I love them. The battery lasts a very long time, and then you just stick them outside during the day and they charge up again. So I keep all my solar flash lights in the windows. When I need them, I just go to the window behind the blinds and there they are.

That's what I need! Where did you buy yours?

ktcottle
09-02-2010, 09:16 PM
This is the one I love the best. Click HERE (http://www.hybridlite.com) On this website, they're about 5 to 10 dollars more expensive than I have seen in the stores. I've seen them at many stores for 19 dollars or at costco, a 2 pack was 30 dollars I think. I've seen them at Costco, Home Depot, Lowes and many random stores.

Solar Power
The Hybrid Solar Lite has a solar panel made up of photovoltaic cells. The photovoltaic cells capture both sunlight and room light, converting it directly to electrical energy powering the Hybrid Solar Lite's powerful 1 watt LED bulb. With an eight hours charge, the Hybrid Solar Lite can provide up to 10 hours of super bright light. Since the Hybrid Solar Lite is not reliant on batteries, it can be charged over and over again without ever having to purchase another battery. Even if the solar charge is completely spent, there is a lithium backup battery providing up to 50 hours of light to ensure that you will never run out of light.

Super Bright 1 Watt LED Bulb

Lights continuously for 11 years
Highly durable since there is no filament to break
Highly resistant to vibration and shock
Very efficient in producing light

Can be charged over and over

Will charge in Sunlight
Highly durable since there is no filament to break
Highly resistant to vibration and shock
Very efficient in producing light

Lithium Backup Battery

Lithium backup battery will hold a charge for 7 years
Provides up to 50 hours of illumination
High tolerance to extreme hot and cold temperatures (alkaline batteries perform poorly in below freezing temperatures)
Weigh half the weight of alkaline batteries
Will maintain relatively constant voltage for over 90% of their lifespan, therefore you will not experience the dimming effect found in alkaline battery operated flashlights.

Super Tough !!!

Can handle the toughest environments
Works in extreme hot or cold conditions
Inherently resistant to vibration and shock damage

Loves the water
The Hybrid Solar Lite is waterproof in up to 80 feet of water
It floats on water
Perfect for boaters

signseeker
09-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Holy krap they're perfect!!! :w00t:

Noahs ARK
09-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Holy krap they're perfect!!! :w00t:

They are! I'm going to look at Home Depot & Lowe's.

Gotta hurry before they sell out!! :driving:

Thanks, ktcottle.

ktcottle
09-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Funny - I just want to small preparedness store here in St. George, UT today and at the check out counter was this exact flashlight selling for 17.99. I picked me up another one. I see these exact flashlights in all kinds of places.

Good luck hunting for them :)

KF7EEC
09-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Funny - I just want to small preparedness store here in St. George, UT today and at the check out counter was this exact flashlight selling for 17.99.

a paintball, violin, and food storage store?

ktcottle
09-04-2010, 08:23 AM
a paintball, violin, and food storage store?

yeah - first time I've been inside. The guy was really nice, helpful and seems to be very knowledgeable.

KF7EEC
09-04-2010, 10:21 AM
yeah - first time I've been inside. The guy was really nice, helpful and seems to be very knowledgeable.

He is. I go up from Vegas and get stuff from him because of it. Its a funny store concept though, I think. They like to say that they are "Food, Fun, and Culture". :)

mirkwood
09-04-2010, 02:16 PM
September was to purchase long term storage scrambled eggs. Did it this week.

prairiemom
09-04-2010, 03:04 PM
We have several trees that need to be cut up. I'm hoping we can get to them this fall. Sept we usually get our beans, rice and wheat. The wheat and beans we get from local farmers so it's pretty cheap.