PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Paper Issues.

LarnaE
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
My family is going to need a lot more Toilet paper. Most of my family has a cold right now and we have been through at least 10 rolls of toilet paper in 2 days. My Garbage cans are overflowing. If this last much longer we will use up our year supply in a week and be burried in TP. How much toilet paper do you store? I try to train my children to not use so much but I have failed.

bokbadok
04-01-2008, 11:14 AM
I have not yet been successful in tracking our TP usage. I have probably 160 rolls (440 sheets/2-ply) stored... I have no idea how long that would last us for normal usage.

Abinadi
04-01-2008, 11:36 AM
There are rolls you can get that are really large and they can be delivered to your door. They are good, yes I have used them. The rolls are oh lets see if can get this right here....about a foot accross...they keep up with a family of 8 and get replaced once a week...
Another company makes the same footage and the rolls are small as the center isn't so big...they kinda romoved the center and the paper is good and it goes the distance with this family.

I use 400 sheet 2 ply and it lasts me awhile.

The other thought is to make you own...if your in the mood for more laundry...

Abinadi

bokbadok
04-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Make yer own. :puke: No thanks. I'll use grape leaves first.

No sirree. My sanitation plan requires that everything be disposable and compostable.

Abinadi
04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Well then you would have some firestarter paper then. I think it would be better to have paper I can burn myself.
I haven't tried grape leaves though I have used maple.

Keep smiling

Abinadi

level3Navigator
04-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Better yet, get a bidet!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

Using a bidet is more sanitary than just using toilet paper. However, most people who have access to a bidet usually use both, wiping with toilet paper before washing with the bidet. Bidets are very useful for the elderly or anyone with mobility problems and for people with hemmeroids. For drying, people usually use soft toilet paper or a small towel that they hang next to the bidet, and which is usually changed daily.

Is my covetousness showing? I learned how to use these while in South Africa, and would love to get one installed in my home.

Or you can simply use newspaper, leaves, smooth stones, sponge on a stick, or the neighbor's cat. But, yes, we do have a lot of toilet paper stored. The womenfolk in my house insist upon it.

LoudmouthMormon
04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
TP, from what common sense would tell us, is also a prime grade-a number one barter item.

bokbadok
04-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Better yet, get a bidet!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

Is my covetousness showing? I learned how to use these while in South Africa, and would love to get one installed in my home.

Or you can simply use newspaper, leaves, smooth stones, sponge on a stick, or the neighbor's cat. But, yes, we do have a lot of toilet paper stored. The womenfolk in my house insist upon it.

I am in agreement with you there. Bidets are awesome! But I doubt it would work if the water wasn't running, and ya gotta plan for that eventuality, me thinks.

I haven't tried grape leaves though I have used maple.

Jest make sure them leaves ain't poison oak! :yikes:

thor610
04-01-2008, 12:56 PM
I have tried to track TP usage and have come up with about and I do mean ABOUT 1 roll per person per week. That is NOT a double roll.

phylm
04-01-2008, 02:02 PM
For the months that I was really crippled with my knees, I couldn't bend my knees enough to reach to wipe! Necessity actually is the mother of invention. I made 2 1/2 inch strips of some old soft kitchen towels. When I used one, I dropped it into a covered container that had water with a little detergent and Chlorox in it. It is no worse washing those strips than rinsing out baby diapers. Toilet paper is much nicer, and I am trying to enlarge our storage of it, but know that I'm not licked if I run out. Does anyone in here remember rinsing out baby diapers? LOL phylm

mirkwood
04-01-2008, 02:54 PM
We buy the bix box of POM brand at Sam's. We tracked how long it took us to use one box up and then bought enough boxes to = one years. It is stored under son#2's bed, behind some drawers he has. Then we keep 1-2 extra boxes in the basement.

NRA
04-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Or you can simply use newspaper, leaves, smooth stones, sponge on a stick, or the neighbor's cat.

Man! You'd better make sure those suckers are de-clawed first! Only takes once before you know you should have de-clawed them first! :d0 (9)::cryin::ciappa:

LarnaE
04-01-2008, 04:18 PM
On a normal week when nobody is sick we use about 3 rolls, but we sure go through it if we are sick. I do not want to do more laundry!!! this is not an option. I like the super TP, that sound like the plan. All I know is that I need more. The Bidet is a good idea, but I can see my kids having all kind of fun with that contraption and I can't see it workin with the runny noses.

Or you can simply use newspaper, leaves, smooth stones, sponge on a stick, or the neighbor's cat.

None of the above are an option. My dog does like to lick the kids faces when they have colds. yuck!

prairiemom
04-01-2008, 09:53 PM
TP, from what common sense would tell us, is also a prime grade-a number one barter item.

I've often said that if our economy ever collapses then TP will become our currency. In that case we will be very rich. :l0 (20):

We use about 1 4-pack a week. There are 5 of us, so that's pretty close to thor's 1 roll per person per week. And we have about 6 boxes of Kleenex, because I really don't like TP for colds.

Cowboy
04-01-2008, 10:27 PM
http://www.ldsglo.com/forum/images/smilies/d0%20%289%29.gif:cryin::ciappa:

You get the penalty for illegal use of smilies!:l0 (48):

level3Navigator
04-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Man! You'd better make sure those suckers are de-clawed first! Only takes once before you know you should have de-clawed them first!

If you do it right, you can surgically remove any hemorrhoids you might have. Saves a great deal on expensive surgery and is multi-tasking to boot!

:shutup:

Okay, enough potty humor. I apologize for the hijack.

But one roll a week seems reasonable. Something the folks way back then did was to put the Sears catalog on a string in the outhouse. Lacking the hefty catalog of yesteryears, we could do the same with our old phone books when the folks come around and leave a new pile of yellow pages on the front porch, which seems to happen every couple of months around these parts. Just pull a page or two out and rub / crinkle to soften it up a bit and you now are not only semi-clean but an effective recycler as well! Of course, I don't know that such TP is flushable in our modern toilet, but if we no longer have water and utilities, I imagine a lot of us will be digging a hole out in the backyard as it is.

A great book you might want to consider for your survival library is Humanure:

http://www.amazon.com/Humanure-Handbook-Guide-Composting-Manure/dp/0964425831/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207152058&sr=8-1

Tells you all you need to know about how to handle and potentially reuse human waste.

Abinadi
04-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Say if we are translated does that mean we won't need paper products?

Abinadi

sunsinger
04-03-2008, 07:56 AM
If they still have them, for .25 you can get square buckets at Payson Fruit Growers. If you squish the rolls, you can get about 11+ rolls in a bucket. I have to check with my spouse on this number I think it was more in most of them. Depends on the size of the roll. We figured it was an item that should be waterproofed until needed. I never feel secure in our TP storage. I do think it will make a great currency as long as it is not recirculated after being used.

Cowboy
04-03-2008, 08:45 AM
You can run out of razors, tooth past, and shampoo. But don't run out of TP.

NRA
04-03-2008, 12:10 PM
You get the penalty for illegal use of smilies!:l0 (48):

Would that be a ten or fifteen yarder?

Abinadi
04-04-2008, 12:38 PM
TP really stands for "Temporarily paniced"

Good thing this is a computer screen and not the paper...oh oh give that back right now! git yer own....okay fine 400 sheets at 2 candy bars please and make sure they are chocolate with carmel or mint. What you don't have any...uh hummm okay but I know I smelled a case when I walked by yer place earlier....400 squares.....bleached or non bleached? I'll roll it to yer place from here...don't let anyone know that there is paper rolling past their place or it may not make it....tp hostage situation here...LOL keep smiling:l0 (20):
Does anyone remember the flowers that used to be on tp years ago?

Abinadi

sunsinger
04-04-2008, 01:20 PM
I know some people have talked about home production of cloth wipes that can be washed. What about making our own disposable TP? Couldn't we learn to do that somehow? May all that dryer lint could be saved for part of the ingredients as well as fire starters. I often thought it would be fun to make elegant hand made art papers-what about designer TP in emergencies? Maybe my washer wringer would get it thin enough?:crazy:

arbilad
04-04-2008, 02:50 PM
I forget which plant it is, but it's nicknamed "indian toilet paper". It has really soft leaves, and it grows like a weed.