PDA

View Full Version : Fruits

Cowboy
04-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Just a reminder as you are adding things to your food storage, do not forget to add some fruits. Canned fruits, dried fruits, and some fresh fruits for current need. These will be the first to become unavailable when something happens. These are very important to your diet.

Abinadi
04-01-2008, 12:20 PM
I could live on fruit. I used to dry alot of it years back. Time to get drying again.

Abinadi

phylm
04-01-2008, 02:12 PM
You are so right. Remember raisins and dried cranberries, too. I love dried blueberries, but they are pricey. I have a lot of dried apple stored and plan to make a lot of wild blackberry jelly and strawberry jam this year, and also dry some strawberries. Have put extra sugar by for this.
We have already planted red and yellow raspberry plants that are doing well, the grapes look thrifty, (and there also wild grapes here), have more than 250 strawberriy plants, some of which are bearing now, and plan to put in some dwarf apples, pears, peaches, plums and nectarines shortly.The bush cherries we planted earlier are doing well. If you don't have room for an orchard, you can get a lot of fruit from berry bushes and bush cherries.Am planning to make a large solar dehydrator, also.

Oh! and I'm finding that poke weed dries in the gas oven from just the heat from the pilot light.
phylm

A'Marie
04-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I think fresh fruit is one of the BIGGEST things I will miss if I don't have access to grocery stores during the difficult times ahead.

I am thinking of making a bunch of homemade fruit leather this year - I LOVE fruit leather!

We have three VERY OLD fruit trees in our yard as this land was once part of a big orchard, but I am hoping with care we can save them for many more years.

LarnaE
04-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Our family did an experiment several years ago. We didn't go to the store for 1 month and just ate food storage. I missed fresh fruits and veggies the most. We did this in February and so I didn't have a garden or fruit trees. I did have bottled fruit and dried fruit, but it wasn't the same.